AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ignition Coil gets super-hot on 91 Montero LS (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72449)

jben August 16th 06 02:49 AM

Ignition Coil gets super-hot on 91 Montero LS

I have a 91 Montero V6 3.0 that will crank but will not start. The
fuel pump does not prime when you turn the key and the coil does not
fire when the key is turned to on as it should on the Montero. The
coil gets very hot as long as the key is turned.

With a multimeter I found that the fuel pump gets 0 volts when the key
is turned to on, 9 volts while cranking, then jumps to 13 volts for 1-2
seconds after I stop cranking and then back to zero. I can here what I
think is the 'EEC Relay' click after cranking. I also have 13 volts
going to both terminals of the ignition coil.

I've replaced the ignition coil - the new one gets super hot just like
the first one.

Anyone have an idea about what would cause this?

BG[_1_] August 16th 06 05:43 AM

On 15 Aug 2006 18:49:34 -0700, "jben" > wrote:

>I have a 91 Montero V6 3.0 that will crank but will not start. The
>fuel pump does not prime when you turn the key and the coil does not
>fire when the key is turned to on as it should on the Montero. The
>coil gets very hot as long as the key is turned.
>
>With a multimeter I found that the fuel pump gets 0 volts when the key
>is turned to on, 9 volts while cranking, then jumps to 13 volts for 1-2
>seconds after I stop cranking and then back to zero. I can here what I
>think is the 'EEC Relay' click after cranking. I also have 13 volts
>going to both terminals of the ignition coil.
>
>I've replaced the ignition coil - the new one gets super hot just like
>the first one.
>
>Anyone have an idea about what would cause this?

Have you pulled any codes from the ECU?

At first glance, it sounds like you have a bad fuel pump
relay/connection/wire.

There have been some recent posts on www.4x4wire.com about similar
no-start conditions. But, I don't believe any had a hot ignition coil.
If it can be fixed, the folks on 4x4wire can help.