AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Beetle steering (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38223)

Ed July 14th 05 04:22 PM

Beetle steering

Who knows how many turns of the steering wheel there should be from side to
side in a Beetle with worm and roller steering? I don't see it in the
Bentley or Muir. I'm trying to do a few adjustments after a front end
accident. I've replaced the right side tie rod (complete) and (maybe right
after the accident) the right tire rubs in the inside of the body. I
adjusted the bolt that stops the steering, but it would be nice to know how
many turns I should be getting side to side.

Thanks,
Ed

Speedy Jim July 14th 05 05:45 PM

Ed wrote:

> Who knows how many turns of the steering wheel there should be from side to
> side in a Beetle with worm and roller steering? I don't see it in the
> Bentley or Muir. I'm trying to do a few adjustments after a front end
> accident. I've replaced the right side tie rod (complete) and (maybe right
> after the accident) the right tire rubs in the inside of the body. I
> adjusted the bolt that stops the steering, but it would be nice to know how
> many turns I should be getting side to side.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

I seem to recall the figure of 2.5 turns lock-to-lock.

I don't know where you got hit, but you may want to
check the axle beam for any sign of bending with a
straightedge. It doesn't take a very big hit to
throw it off.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Ed July 15th 05 12:08 AM

Yes, I do have to check for other problems. I hit a mailbox post at I would
guess under 15 mph, and did a number on the bumper and fender. The right
side tie rod was very bent. I replaced it, but now I still notice a few
problems. The right wheel seems to be out of true. When I jack up the car
and wpin the wheel, I notice it. It does the same thing when I put the spare
on it, so it's not just the wheel or tire. I don't think it's just the tie
rod- When I turn the right wheel hard to make a tirn out of my driveway, it
rubs on the inner body.

What else should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Ed