AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bestop Bikini (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=33543)

Dave May 24th 05 12:54 PM

Bestop Bikini

For Christmas, I got a Bikini top, for my 98 Wrangler. I SHOULD have
opened it and checked it out when I got it. Unfortunately I got my
first look at it this past weekend, and found that I need the "retainer
channel" yet I can't find it on their website.

My question to the group is.. Where does this "channel" bolt to, and
can I simply fab my own? Has anyone else done this?

Steve Landis May 24th 05 03:00 PM

Dave wrote:
> For Christmas, I got a Bikini top, for my 98 Wrangler. I SHOULD have
> opened it and checked it out when I got it. Unfortunately I got my
> first look at it this past weekend, and found that I need the "retainer
> channel" yet I can't find it on their website.
>
> My question to the group is.. Where does this "channel" bolt to, and
> can I simply fab my own? Has anyone else done this?

http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=9

Steve

IsellJeeps May 24th 05 03:19 PM

they make 2 kinds one that you drill holes in the windshield and one that
bolts in to the factory latch spot.. I reccomend the one that bolts in but
it is more expensive if there is a 4 wheel parts near you they have them!

oups.com...

Dave May 24th 05 07:46 PM

Thanks for that link, I was looking in the completely wrong spot...

I'm thinking of going with the drill-type, since then I can leave the
channel on there with the soft-top up. Does anyone have experience with
this? Does the drill-type channel look really strange when there is no
top on the vehicle?

Thanks!

Nick May 24th 05 08:18 PM

No, it's not even really noticable, and it's great for putting on a bikini
top. Only problem is if you let your tops be loose and flap in the wind
alot, it will eventually rip the channel out at a most unfortunate time,
like when your on the highway..... Keep your top tight, and if need (from
experience), get self tapping metel screws and go crazy on your channel...
Nick

--
http://members.cox.net/nnote/

Dave May 24th 05 09:50 PM

Thanks for your response Nick, I'll now be purchasing one.

I searched 4wd & quadratec, and was unable to find it.. I Froogled
51210 however, and it turned up for $14.75 from a Yahoo! store called
"Inclined Vehicles" .. anybody heard of these guys?

Jeff Strickland May 24th 05 10:50 PM

Have you tried to see if it fits in the header channel for the soft top?

oups.com...

Jeff Strickland May 25th 05 03:43 AM

"bizbee" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 12:18:49 -0700 in <l7Lke.2180$yp.429@fed1read02>,
> "Nick" > graced the world with this thought:
>
> >No, it's not even really noticable, and it's great for putting on a

bikini
> >top. Only problem is if you let your tops be loose and flap in the wind
> >alot, it will eventually rip the channel out at a most unfortunate time,
> >like when your on the highway..... Keep your top tight, and if need

(from
> >experience), get self tapping metel screws and go crazy on your

channel...
> >Nick

> I'm trying to figure why you would leave your top on so it was
> flapping around...
> I've had a channel on my CJ5 for more than fifteen years, never had a
> problem.

Are you interested in a hardtop for your CJ5?

Dave May 25th 05 01:28 PM

Under the rubber seal which is glued in place on the top of the
windshield frame? the plastic lip on the bikini-top is longer than
the header channel, and would interfere with the ends of the channel,
from what I could see. It was obvious that it wasn't intended to work
that way, so I abandoned the idea. Especially since it was glued in
place.

Steve Landis May 25th 05 02:22 PM

Good question. I have one channel - works for bikini top and soft top.

Steve
95 YJ
98 ZJ