AutoBanter

-   Simulators (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New System - memory (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=17425)

Byron Forbes November 12th 04 08:40 AM

New System - memory

I'll be in the market for a new system in the not too distant future.
I've pretty well made up my mind about most things but am unsure of the
limitations of 512Mb memory (twin 256) Vs the benefits of 1Gb (twin 512).
For simming, gaming and just general computer use, is there really much of
an advantage with having 1Gb. Longer replays would be nice but there'd need
to be benefits other than that to justify the extra expense imo.

All comments/opinions welcome. TIA.

Andrew MacPherson November 12th 04 10:53 AM

In article

om.au>, (Byron Forbes) wrote:

> is there really much of
> an advantage with having 1Gb

The benefit is not something you can definitely point to and say
"yes, it's changed my life!" But 1Gb gives you lots of elbow room
on your computer. Things tend to load faster (menus etc between
gaming sessions) because more things can be retained in RAM, and
modern games with extreme requirements (like Doom3) definitely
feel happier on a system with extra RAM. And if you start messing
about with movies from a digital camera/movie camera then 1Gb is
the minimum I'd recommend.

Put it this way, if money is tight, go for 1x512 now and wait
until you can afford another stick. But don't get seduced by the
fancy memory speeds which promise you the earth. Having tried
several types in a quest for high fsb speed I'd rather have 1024Mb
of average RAM than 512Mb of the fast stuff... which generally
just encourages you to overclock until your box falls over :-)

Andrew McP

Chet November 12th 04 01:16 PM

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
> I'll be in the market for a new system in the not too distant future.
> I've pretty well made up my mind about most things but am unsure of the
> limitations of 512Mb memory (twin 256) Vs the benefits of 1Gb (twin 512).
> For simming, gaming and just general computer use, is there really much of
> an advantage with having 1Gb. Longer replays would be nice but there'd

need
> to be benefits other than that to justify the extra expense imo.
>
> All comments/opinions welcome. TIA.

Always go for more ram if you can, it just makes things smoother in
everything (XP, games, business apps), faster load times, less (or no) disk
accessing for the page file, run more apps at once and so on.

C.

1GB and loving it :)

ert November 25th 04 02:51 AM

the main difference i've noticed with 1GB over 512MB is that it eliminates
the occasional stutter i'd get at times while gaming.