AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Adding pwr locks/windows to XJ (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73254)

Tom Greening August 27th 06 03:08 AM

Adding pwr locks/windows to XJ

I have a 94 xj whose only nod to creature comfort was an automatic and
a/c. The member of the family in charge of all, ahem, physical favors
is demanding the addition of pwr locks (remote) and windows. Has anyone
ever retro-fit these via the junkyard and if so what are the issues.
I'm guessing the big factor determining ease of installation is going to
be if my factory harness has the provision for these options. I'm
pretty much a cherry when it comes to xjs so somewhat flying blind.

Lacking the junkyard method, what about aftermarket?

Mike Romain August 27th 06 03:18 PM

Adding pwr locks/windows to XJ

That would be an insane job to try to do....

You would need to get the tracks, motors, inside door panels, switches
and wiring harnesses. Then you would need the power locks and remote
setup.

To run all this, the alternator and battery might even need upgrading.

If you went aftermarket or OEM, it would be cheaper to just buy another
Cherokee already with stock power windows.

Most folks that retrofit, go the other way once they realize you can't
off road an old Cherokee with power windows and ever expect the windows
to work again.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Carl[_3_] August 27th 06 06:53 PM

Adding pwr locks/windows to XJ

Wow, that is quite the demand. Tell her the best way is to get junkyard
doors, but you'll probably end up with 4 different colors, none of them
matching the Jeep. I would then just supply power to the locks and window
motors, and get an aftermarket keyles entry system.

HTH

Carl

. ..