AutoBanter

-   Antique cars (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   gas tank sealants-US Standard & others - risk of clogging tiny tank vents etc? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=7367)

bill yohler February 29th 04 02:58 AM

gas tank sealants-US Standard & others - risk of clogging tiny tank vents etc?

I'm generally familiar with the entire process, step by step, but have
a question I do =not= see addressed in any newsgroup post, or in any
tank sealant manufactures sites. hope you guys can 'clue me in' on
this:

the tank I'm going to seal my buddy has numerous old rusted "hulks"
of, some of which are cut in half, so the internals can be seen
clearly. what I'm worried about is this: these tanks (including mine)
all have a smaller 'inlet' for 'overflow' steel tube (aka: mistakes
during sloppy gas pumping go into the tank) which is about a half inch
ID, and which is about three feet long =INside= the tank, WITH a few
gentle curves in its' 'interior length' (INside the tank).

Also, and more importantly, there's another smaller 'vent tube' of
similar length which also has 'curves INside the tank', but THIS tube
only has an ID of roughly 3/32 inch, but about 3 and and a half FEET
of it is INside the tank, where it curves around in there....so...

QUESTION: how do the sealant makers suggest these vent tubes/passages
be 'plugged temporarily' when the (still wet) sealant is being sloshed
around in there? A guy doesn't want those tubes 'plugged up' with
sealant - so, how would a guy REMOVE those same Internal plugs, from
so DEEP Inside the dern tank, if the guy wants to make DERN sure those
'internal tubes' (especially the tiny one) stay Unplugged over their
-entire- lengths, during his USE of the tank, after three or four days
sealant "hardening time"?

is there some 'clever' method I haven't seen mentioned? extra-long
solvent-soaked pipe cleaners, or something? or what? what are the
'temporary plugs' made of? and how are they removed from so deep
inside the tank, around those -curves- in the 'internal' tubes?

thanks very much for educating me :-)

Steven E. Eyrse February 29th 04 07:42 AM

Myself have not worried about these extra lines. Just sloshed the
tanks then blowen air back thru them after draining and then drain
once more. As the vents and fume returns are of a small dia. not much
slosh will get in them to start with. They are designed to drain back
into the tank when it is in its normal position. A slow low long
breath of air works better than a huge fast BLAST.

SteveE.