AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Replacement of Manifold Gasket (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38434)

MikeLikes July 17th 05 01:29 PM

Replacement of Manifold Gasket

Hi everyone,
I believe my car has an exhaust manifold leak and I am now looking at
changing the gasket as a starting point. After reading the Honda
workshop manual it stated that you should change the manifold stud,
self locking nuts. My question is do I really need to change the self
locking nuts as there are 9 of them and they are worth $8 Australian
each so it ends up being a fairly expensive operation when I am not
100% sure it will fix my problem.
Regards,
Michael.

----
My Car Details
Make: Honda Civic
Model: 1995, EG
Engine: 1.5 Litre, D15B7
Gearbox: 5spd Manual
Body: 4 Door, Sedan

TeGGeR® July 17th 05 02:56 PM

"MikeLikes" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Hi everyone,
> I believe my car has an exhaust manifold leak and I am now looking at
> changing the gasket as a starting point. After reading the Honda
> workshop manual it stated that you should change the manifold stud,
> self locking nuts. My question is do I really need to change the self
> locking nuts

No.

Be prepared for broken studs though. And some of them may wind out of the
head with the nut still attached. Do NOT overtorque.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

MikeLikes July 18th 05 04:23 AM

I think I might just live with the ticking sound, I dont want to start
something and make it worse along the way.
Thanks for the info
Mike.