AutoBanter

-   Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   1979 Corvette Brake Lights (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73228)

[email protected] August 26th 06 10:09 PM

1979 Corvette Brake Lights

My 1979 vette has working turn signals, but no brake lights. I found
the fuse box, but have no idea which fuse it would be. I don't have an
owner's manual. Any ideas? Mike

PJ August 26th 06 11:19 PM

1979 Corvette Brake Lights

wrote:
> My 1979 vette has working turn signals, but no brake lights. I found
> the fuse box, but have no idea which fuse it would be. I don't have an
> owner's manual. Any ideas? Mike

Fuse is common to hazard flasher, stop lights and horn. If the horn
works, the fuse (ckt 40A) is OK. If none of these things work then
problem could be either the fuse or a loose connector to the steering
column directional control assembly (horn, hazard and stop light
circuits all go through that connector.)

Orange wire to the stop light switch comes from the fuse block (should
be hot all the time). White wire from the stop light switch goes to the
turn signal switch. If pressing on the brake pedal puts voltage on the
white wire, problem is probably in the turn-sig switch or in it's connector.

If pressing on the brake pedal doesn't put voltage on the white wire
then try adjusting the switch. If that fails, get a new switch.

HTH .. pj