AutoBanter

-   Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Strange Battery Issue (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=3102)

Black Bomb September 30th 04 03:48 PM

Strange Battery Issue

Hi

If I don't start up my car for about 3 days,,,the battery doesn't keep its
charge enough to start it. I had the battery tested and it resulted good. I
installed a spare battery that was lying around at home. The car was parked
without starting for about 1 week and it had plenty of energy to start. If
the car has a short that is pulling power off the battery, I guess I would
have problems with the spare battery aswell. Anyone encountered this problem
before? Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
89 Blk on Blk

CCred68046 September 30th 04 04:13 PM

Yep your old battery is just holding a surface charge. Trash it.

CCred68046 September 30th 04 04:13 PM

Yep your old battery is just holding a surface charge. Trash it.

George Csahanin September 30th 04 11:44 PM

The one thing my 92 is good for once every 18 months or so is the battery.
Don't know why, it just gets exactly that way in a short period. This last
one's gone almost two years, maybe I'm just lucky. Even though it sat quite
dead for about 10 weeks till I got to change the optispark. It is whatever
brand AutoZone pushes.

-GeorgeC 92 LT-1 Red/Red

George Csahanin September 30th 04 11:44 PM

Black Bomb October 1st 04 12:09 PM

As mentioned,,,,It does sound like the battery is holding a surface charge.
It's too bad because it's only 15 months old and still under warranty, but
they will not replace it until it fails the test...Thanks for your help
guys...

Dan

.. .

Black Bomb October 1st 04 12:09 PM

X-Eliminator October 1st 04 03:21 PM

Look in your Factory Electrical Diagnosis Service Manual, Section 8
under System Diagnosis....see especially Chart # 5.

Buy a manual you cheapskate. Stop using this newsgroup as your
personal factory service manual.

(put up, or shut-up Dan)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:48:43 -0400, "Black Bomb"

X-Eliminator October 1st 04 03:21 PM

Jon Smith October 2nd 04 07:38 AM

A one-hundred milli-amp draw is normal with today's computer controlled
cars. If your car is left for over two weeks without starting it you
should disconnect the battery cable.

You should start with a freshly charged battery and see what the draw is
with nothing turned on and the battery cables connected. If you are
drawing more than 100 milli-amps you have something in the car that is
draining the battery.

If you have a 100 milli-amp draw or less you should be looking at the
age of the battery. Get a Interstate Megatron battery if it needs to be
replaced.

Lastly, check your alternator output since you did not say that the
alternator was new or original. The factory alternators are known to
fail at this age.