AutoBanter

-   4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '79 FJ40 Rear Differential rebuild (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=6800)

Paul Hovnanian P.E. December 1st 04 01:45 AM

'79 FJ40 Rear Differential rebuild

I may be needing one soon. The pinion bearing had some play in it.

What's a reasonable price for a rebuild? I can pull the differential
carrier and bring it to the shop myself (saving the axle-pulling labor
charges).

What are the best shops in the Seattle area to have this done?

--
Paul Hovnanian
Opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. Standard

Roger Brown December 1st 04 03:08 AM

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

> I may be needing one soon. The pinion bearing had some play in it.

You could try tighting up the nut on the pinion flange. Unstake the nut, set a
torque wrench to about 90 ft.lbs. and see if it'll snug up at all. Often that
is all that is needed to take up the slack. I did it a few times on my old 3rd
member in my 4Runner.

Otherwise figure about $200 labor on the rebuild, parts will vary demending on
what's damaged. Might be more cost effective to pick up a used 3rd from a
junkyard.

--
Roger

Refinish_King1 December 2nd 04 06:45 PM

$200.00?

Back yard mechanics aren't doing them that cheap anymore!

Lots of liability and chance associated with doing a third member, and
letting someone else install it.

Refinish King

Paul Hovnanian P.E. December 4th 04 01:56 AM

Roger Brown wrote:

> "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:
> >
> > I may be needing one soon. The pinion bearing had some play in it.

> You could try tighting up the nut on the pinion flange. Unstake the nut, set a
> torque wrench to about 90 ft.lbs. and see if it'll snug up at all. Often that
> is all that is needed to take up the slack. I did it a few times on my old 3rd
> member in my 4Runner.

Thanks. There was indeed some slack in the nut. If the bearings are
shot, it'll just loosten up again in a month or two, but it seems fine
now.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Bloody typical, they've gone back to metric without telling us.