AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Outside Handle Replacement (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=26996)

Xx March 15th 05 12:34 AM

Outside Handle Replacement

I have the new outside door handle for my 97 Explorer to replace the current
one with both tension springs broke. Question is what should I use to
reattach the new handle? I can't find any pop rivets as large as the ones
that I will have to remove to install the new handle. I guess I could use
carriage bolts and paint them black, but I was trying to get some other
ideas for reattachment.

David March 20th 05 05:38 PM

I used nuts and bolts I had around the shop. There is no need to paint them
black, as they are hidden by the handle. You can see them only if you're
below the level of the handle. I can send photos if you like.

Incidentally I mended the broken springs by removing a turn and forming new
ends.

David
Raleigh
Ex- 1991 Eddie 4x4 (150,000)