AutoBanter

-   Audi (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What's it take to replace the cam tensioner seals on the 20V V6? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=1573)

JimV December 27th 04 05:29 AM

What's it take to replace the cam tensioner seals on the 20V V6?

I have a '99 A4 that needs new cam tensioner seals at 84K. Has anyone
here done this job? I'm a pretty experienced mechanic by hobby, but I've
never been in the 2.8. How difficult a job is it?

JimV December 27th 04 02:45 PM

JimV wrote:
> I have a '99 A4 that needs new cam tensioner seals at 84K. Has anyone
> here done this job? I'm a pretty experienced mechanic by hobby, but I've
> never been in the 2.8. How difficult a job is it?

Make that the 30V V6

Alec December 27th 04 05:13 PM

Have a look here :
http://www.robsaudiworld.com/2.8camseal.htm

Rgds

Jay Somerset December 27th 04 07:12 PM

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:29:46 -0500, JimV > wrote:

> I have a '99 A4 that needs new cam tensioner seals at 84K. Has anyone
> here done this job? I'm a pretty experienced mechanic by hobby, but I've
> never been in the 2.8. How difficult a job is it?

Not something that i would want to do myself. It's about a 3-hour job by
the dealer. I've also seen 3rd-party repair shops mess this one up.

JimV December 27th 04 08:27 PM

Jay Somerset wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:29:46 -0500, JimV > wrote:
>

>>I have a '99 A4 that needs new cam tensioner seals at 84K. Has anyone
>>here done this job? I'm a pretty experienced mechanic by hobby, but I've
>>never been in the 2.8. How difficult a job is it?

> Not something that i would want to do myself. It's about a 3-hour job by
> the dealer. I've also seen 3rd-party repair shops mess this one up.

I've had far more repairs botched when I paid someone else to do them
than if I do them myself. Maybe it's just the shops around here, but
they all seem interested in taking my money, but not in performing a
quality service. In fact, the dealer "fixed" this twice under warranty,
but the leak remains (out of warranty now).

-jim

JimV December 27th 04 08:39 PM

Alec wrote:
> Have a look here :