AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   '97 GC hesitation... (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=59505)

Cal March 15th 06 02:02 AM

'97 GC hesitation...

my '97 GC frequently has a brief hesitation after restarting a warm engine.
(I6.) When cold, I never notice a hesitation at all. I can drive until it
reaches operating temp. If I restart the engine before it completely cools
down, it will hesitate some on the first acceleration. It will occasionally
have a very mild backfire or 'pop' sound, then accelerate normally and run
fine the rest of the drive. This has never happened when cold. It starts
fine (within a couple turns of the engine..) Any ideas?

thanks,
cal

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III March 15th 06 03:12 AM

'97 GC hesitation...

Hi Cal,
Weak ignition wire or spark plug. It would show up instantly on an
oscilloscope. The unburned gas is ignited with the next firing cylinder.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

DougW March 15th 06 03:36 AM

'97 GC hesitation...

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:
> Hi Cal,
> Weak ignition wire or spark plug. It would show up instantly on an
> oscilloscope. The unburned gas is ignited with the next firing cylinder.

Or coil. When my coil was going I got the same hesitation till it just
simply wouldn't start. (too bad they won't let folks just hit the coil
with a blast of freon to cool it off) :) That was an easy check.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III March 15th 06 03:48 AM

'97 GC hesitation...

A coil going bad for me acts like a rev limiter, I don't notice the
backfire, just lack of power.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Cal March 15th 06 04:05 AM

'97 GC hesitation...

I didn't mention that it only hesitates once after restarting. I can drive
hundreds of miles, stop and go, and it never does it again....until I shut
it off, walk away for a little while, and then restart before it completely
cools off. Does that make any difference concerning your ideas? thanks for
the help so far!

cal

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III March 15th 06 04:59 AM

'97 GC hesitation...

Hi Cal,
Yes, once the engine warms up, in your case dieseling takes over,
when that spark plug misfires.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

philthy March 15th 06 11:40 AM

'97 GC hesitation...

check for fault codes first

Cal March 15th 06 12:51 PM

'97 GC hesitation...

no fault codes. But I will try replacing the coil, checking wires and
plugs.
thanks for all the replies!

cal

philthy March 16th 06 11:58 PM

'97 GC hesitation...

with the vehicle running spray water on the plug wires and llok for arcing
best done in low lite

DougW March 17th 06 01:24 AM

'97 GC hesitation...

philthy did pass the time by typing:
> with the vehicle running spray water on the plug wires and llok for arcing
> best done in low lite

I built a "leak detector" out of a 110VAC Neon lamp from radioshack and a length
of insulated wire. Just run one leg of the lamp to the chassis ground and the
other down a dowell. If the lamp flickers you found a leak.

Fairly simple and cheap.