AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   what could it be? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=36169)

bookie29 June 22nd 05 02:54 AM

what could it be?

ihave a 300m chrylser and i've changed the battery in it 3 times in
6months. some say its my alarm system that is draining the battery but
some people say its my alternator. my battery is not even 6 months yet and
my car wont start. when i try to get a "jump off" it still wont crank.
please help what could it be.

Bill Putney June 22nd 05 11:16 AM

bookie29 wrote:
> ihave a 300m chrylser and i've changed the battery in it 3 times in
> 6months. some say its my alarm system that is draining the battery but
> some people say its my alternator. my battery is not even 6 months yet and
> my car wont start. when i try to get a "jump off" it still wont crank.
> please help what could it be.

Since you say it stilll won't crank when jumped, it would seem that it
would have to be:
(1) Bad starter,
(2) A loose connection - the positive jump post connection (on top of
the passenger side of the engine visible when you open the hood) would
be a prime candidate, or
(3) a bad ignition switch.

Regarding (2), above, with the exception of the direct conection between
battery and alternator, *all* electrical power goes thru the positive
jump node. One cable from your battery, one cable to the starter, and a
third cable to everything else. It could be that one or both nuts on
the pos. jump post stud are loose and the terminal for the cable to the
starter is making poor contact - which can be intermittent and wouild
also grow steadily worse from heat (due to high resistance connection).
Item (2) does happen on LH cars - it happened on mine, and I have
correctrly pointed many Lh car owners on Chrysler forums to that as a
cause of a problem similar to yours (though that is not the only
possible cause as pointed out).

If you don't know how to use a multimeter/voltmeter to properly diagnose
such problems, then take it to a competent mechanic who can. It is
clear to me that you haven't found that person yet with the guesswork
that has gone on with this to date. For example, a bad alternator or an
alarm system draining the system would not make a car fail to crank with
a jump!

I get the impression that the problem is fairly constant (not too
intermittent). That being the case, it should not take an honest,
competent mechanic long to find the root cause of the problem and
correct it. For example - a bad alternator could be ruled in or out in
seconds with a voltmeter in the hands of someone minimally competent.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Bob Shuman June 22nd 05 12:53 PM

If it clicks, but won't crank, it is likely the starter solenoid contacts
that are shot.

Bob

Art June 22nd 05 03:56 PM

After the battery is removed from the car, have you checked to see if it is
discharged? If it is not discharged then it has nothing to do with the
battery or charging system.

lkaboutautos.com...

Alex Rodriguez June 22nd 05 08:22 PM

In article outautos.com>,
says...

>ihave a 300m chrylser and i've changed the battery in it 3 times in
>6months. some say its my alarm system that is draining the battery but
>some people say its my alternator. my battery is not even 6 months yet and
>my car wont start. when i try to get a "jump off" it still wont crank.
>please help what could it be.

I would blame the tech who didn't catch the real problem after changing the
battery the first time.
--------------
Alex

Father of the Year June 22nd 05 11:04 PM

That's right, if you AIN"T got what it takes to be helpful, just criticize
and put people down.
Blaming the tech does not fix the problem nor does it answer his question.
Might I suggest to you Alex a few new, more appropriate newsgroup for you to
spread your wealth of knowledge upon.
alt.asshole-factory
alt.ima.loser.and.you.can.be.too
alt.ignorant.****s
lastly for those of you considering not wearing your seatbelt alt.
society.civil-disob

I am sure everyone here will miss your helpful suggestions.

"Alex Rodriguez" > wrote in message
> In article

outautos.com>,

bookie29 June 22nd 05 11:48 PM

thanks for all the replys ive gotten back i will take all advice in
consideration. keep them coming.

David June 23rd 05 12:41 AM

"Father of the Year" > wrote in
message ...
> That's right, if you AIN"T got what it takes to be helpful, just criticize
> and put people down.
> Blaming the tech does not fix the problem nor does it answer his question.
> Might I suggest to you Alex a few new, more appropriate newsgroup for you
> spread your wealth of knowledge upon.
> alt.asshole-factory
> alt.ima.loser.and.you.can.be.too
> alt.ignorant.****s
> lastly for those of you considering not wearing your seatbelt alt.
> society.civil-disob

This, from a helpful deadbeat dad. Your comments are just as bad! Did you
help him with his question?
Nope! So anyway, how's it feel not being able to raise the kids because your
a moron? Good thing you are paying your way though!

Father of the Year June 23rd 05 04:21 AM

1. Not a deadbeat, who said I was Nostradamous?
2. If you have kids, it can happen to you. I don't wish it upon you or
anyone especially your kids? But the laws promote your wife dumpin your ass
and taking the kids and then you can pay her while you have the kids....go
figure.
3. I came here with a question for the experts. Tim and only Tim helped me
out and the rest of you showed and continue to demonstrate what you are.
4. My previous life was stolen from me by the corrupt family laws and an
even more corrupt ex wife.....Not because I was or am an asshole but because
she found someone who made more money than me!!!!

I am an asshole because I don't want to wear my seatbelt. Yall
happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Father of the Year June 23rd 05 04:25 AM

Question: ihave a 300m chrylser and i've changed the battery in it 3 times
in
6months. some say its my alarm system that is draining the battery but
some people say its my alternator. my battery is not even 6 months yet and
my car wont start. when i try to get a "jump off" it still wont crank.
please help what could it be.

Answer: I would blame the tech who didn't catch the real problem after
changing the
battery the first time.
Alex

Yep, I guess I was out of line. That is a real good answer Alex. NAH I
wasn't out of line.