AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What exactly is "left lane blocking"? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=27360)

Magnulus March 18th 05 09:42 AM

What exactly is "left lane blocking"?

Please define it. Is it driving in the left lane for no real purpose
(ie, the person could be driving in the right lane without much trouble), or
is it driving at a lawful, prudent speed in the left lane to pass or to
prepare for a left turn (as oppossed to breaking the law like every other
fool)? And how far ahead should one get into the left lane to prepare for a
turn? A 1/2 mile, a 1/4 of a mile?

The Office Jet March 18th 05 01:03 PM

I still don't understand how exactly this law is enforced? How would
an officer know that other cars would be going faster unless the
blocking car was going way under the speed limit.

Nate Nagel March 18th 05 01:06 PM

The Office Jet wrote:

> I still don't understand how exactly this law is enforced? How would
> an officer know that other cars would be going faster unless the
> blocking car was going way under the speed limit.

If the vehicle in the left lane is a) not actively passing vehicles to
its right or b) there is no traffic to the right.

It's really not that difficult to spot vehicles in the left lane that
shouldn't be there. I see them every day.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

The Office Jet March 18th 05 02:01 PM

Is it that easy foran office sitting on the side of the road to notice
that though. I guess it would be easier for a police officer that is
driving to pick up on this than it would be for one sitting and waiting
to catch someone speeding.

Harry K March 18th 05 03:11 PM

The Office Jet wrote:
> Is it that easy foran office sitting on the side of the road to

notice
> that though. I guess it would be easier for a police officer that is
> driving to pick up on this than it would be for one sitting and

waiting
> to catch someone speeding.

It's simple using just mark one eyeball. Is there a car in the left
lane? Is there a car behind him? The first car is a LLB.

Second example.

Is there is car in the left lane? Is it passing anyone? No? Then he
deserves a ticket in any state with KLETP law.

Harry K

Harry K March 18th 05 03:14 PM

The Office Jet wrote:
> Is it that easy foran office sitting on the side of the road to

notice
> that though. I guess it would be easier for a police officer that is
> driving to pick up on this than it would be for one sitting and

waiting
> to catch someone speeding.

It's simple using mark one eyeball.

Sample 1.

Is there a car in the left lane?
There a car or cars behind him.
Lead car is a LLB

Sample 2.

Is there a car in the left lane?
Is he passing anyone?
NO.
He deserves a ticket in any state with KRETP law.

It's not rocket science.

Harry K

Skip Elliott Bowman March 18th 05 04:55 PM

"Magnulus" > wrote in message
. ..
> Please define it. Is it driving in the left lane for no real purpose
> (ie, the person could be driving in the right lane without much trouble),
> or
> is it driving at a lawful, prudent speed in the left lane to pass or to
> prepare for a left turn (as oppossed to breaking the law like every other
> fool)?

Put it this way: if you're in the left lane and traffic is either/both
piling up behind you or passing you on the right, then you're an LLB.

And how far ahead should one get into the left lane to prepare for a
> turn? A 1/2 mile, a 1/4 of a mile?

Depends on traffic.

Jim Yanik March 18th 05 06:18 PM

"The Office Jet" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Is it that easy foran office sitting on the side of the road to notice
> that though. I guess it would be easier for a police officer that is
> driving to pick up on this than it would be for one sitting and waiting
> to catch someone speeding.

Well,that's the result of radar speed enforcement;
officers operating radar do not catch any other traffic violations like
reckless driving,improper lane changes,tailgating,nor do they aid stranded
motorists.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik March 18th 05 06:22 PM

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
link.net:

> "Magnulus" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Please define it. Is it driving in the left lane for no real
>> purpose
>> (ie, the person could be driving in the right lane without much
>> trouble), or
>> is it driving at a lawful, prudent speed in the left lane to pass or
>> to prepare for a left turn (as oppossed to breaking the law like
>> every other fool)?

> Put it this way: if you're in the left lane and traffic is either/both
> piling up behind you or passing you on the right, then you're an LLB.
>
> And how far ahead should one get into the left lane to prepare for a
>> turn? A 1/2 mile, a 1/4 of a mile?

> Depends on traffic.

In most cases,there should not be any left exits/entrances on limited
access highways.It means there would have to be merging traffic into the
passing lane,or exiting(slowing) traffic from the passing lane.

And don't even bother mentioning "properly designed exit/entrance ramps",as
the slowing still occurs due to the clueless,regardless of ramp design.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Arif Khokar March 18th 05 07:02 PM

Harry K wrote:

> Is there is car in the left lane? Is it passing anyone? No? Then he
> deserves a ticket in any state with KLETP law.

I certainly hope there are no states with a K*L*ETP law :)