AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dana 35 axle/c-clip play (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=67679)

dabend June 17th 06 03:55 AM

Dana 35 axle/c-clip play

94 YJ 4.0 Dana 35

After 4 wheelin I started to notice a clunking noise coming from my
rear end when I rock the jeep sideways (rock rollbar). I have narrowed
it down to both axle shafts having alittle play in and out. I pulled
the axle on one side and have noticed play in the c-clip and axle
groove. Please see online video:

http://www.dabend.com/jeepin%20040.avi

Is this play normal? If not, what is worn, clip or shaft??

The shaft teeth are in perfect condition. But, I did notice some rough
shavings around the end of the shaft (clip side not wheel). The c-clip
groove seems smooth, just the tip edges. Also, the retaining shaft
shows no sign of wear. Besides that inside the differential gears looks
great.

Besides throwing the Dana 35 in the garbage, any suggestions so I can
keep busy this weekend?

Chris

Jerry Bransford June 17th 06 08:12 AM

Dana 35 axle/c-clip play

That side-to-side axleshaft movement is perfectly normal. It's there
because the axleshafts must be pushed inward so the c-clip can be
accessed and removed for axleshaft removal. No worries!

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY