AutoBanter

-   Ford Mustang (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   make it stop?? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=27062)

Michael price March 15th 05 08:40 AM

make it stop??

the last few weeks my gt is making a chirping or whistle sound when it
idles. when i speed up it goes away then returns whent it idles at a
stop sign. i put a few sprays of wd-40 on the alt pulley and the tension
pulley and it stoppes. then return after a hour or so of driving. i`m a
person that like to hear things run right? this little sound is bugging
me. i checked the belt it`s in great shape. anyone know anything like
this and what i could do to stop it? thanks for any info. it is in the
belt - pulley system. mp 99 chrome yellow GT

.boB March 15th 05 01:00 PM

Michael price wrote:
> the last few weeks my gt is making a chirping or whistle sound when it
> idles. when i speed up it goes away then returns whent it idles at a
> stop sign. i put a few sprays of wd-40 on the alt pulley and the tension
> pulley and it stoppes. then return after a hour or so of driving. i`m a
> person that like to hear things run right? this little sound is bugging
> me. i checked the belt it`s in great shape. anyone know anything like
> this and what i could do to stop it? thanks for any info. it is in the
> belt - pulley system. mp 99 chrome yellow GT

WD-40 doesn't last long - as you know. Remove the
belt and clean it well. Also, clean all the pulleys.
While you're cleaning them be sure and check if any are
loose or out of alignment - especially the idler pulley.
If it still makes noise, spray on a little belt
dressing.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

walt peifer March 15th 05 03:06 PM

could be a dry alternator bearing. try spraying a little wd-40 on front and
rear of shaft when motor is not running let soak for a few minutes then try
it out