AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How to compute mileage (mpg)? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=36463)

Newbie June 25th 05 06:33 PM

How to compute mileage (mpg)?

It may seem like a superfluous question, but what is the best way of
calculating what mmg yuor vehicle is getting? I have my miles reading
of course, and I can record how much gas I put in, but there was some
gas already there in the tank, and how do I know what was traveled on
how much gas? If you have a good system, please share!

Mark A June 25th 05 07:33 PM

Newbie" > wrote in message
> It may seem like a superfluous question, but what is the best way of
> calculating what mmg yuor vehicle is getting? I have my miles reading
> of course, and I can record how much gas I put in, but there was some
> gas already there in the tank, and how do I know what was traveled on
> how much gas? If you have a good system, please share!

You have to do it over a long period of time (many tank fulls) and then
estimate the beginning fuel level the very first time. Any error in
estimating the beginning fuel level the first time will be minimized when
looking at 10 or more tanks of gas to calculate the mileage.

Randy June 25th 05 07:36 PM

Newbie wrote:
> It may seem like a superfluous question, but what is the best way of
> calculating what mmg yuor vehicle is getting? I have my miles reading
> of course, and I can record how much gas I put in, but there was some
> gas already there in the tank, and how do I know what was traveled on
> how much gas? If you have a good system, please share!

Fill the tank and record the mileage.

The next time you need gas, fill the tank and record the mileage.
Subtract the second mileage from the first mileage. Divide the result by
the amount of gas (gallons and tenths) purchased the second time.

You can use the trip odometer if you have one. Reset when you fill up
the first time. When you refill, record the miles traveled, and divide
by the gallons purchased.

Daniel J. Stern June 25th 05 07:38 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Newbie wrote:

> It may seem like a superfluous question, but what is the best way of
> calculating what mmg yuor vehicle is getting? I have my miles reading of
> course, and I can record how much gas I put in, but there was some gas
> already there in the tank, and how do I know what was traveled on how
> much gas? If you have a good system, please share!

It's very simple.

Fill your tank at a given station to a given point (say, the second time
the nozzle clicks off). Reset your trip odometer or note the mileage
reading.

Drive the car. The longer you drive it, the more accurate will be your
mileage calculation.

Return to the same gas station -- use the same pump if possible. Fill the
tank once again to the same point as before (say, the second time the
nozzle clicks off). Note the number of litres or gallons, and the odometer
reading.

Divide the number of miles you travelled by the number of gallons you
purchased. That is your fuel mileage (in miles per gallon) for that tank
of fuel.

OR

Multiply the number of litres you bought by 100, then divide the
result by the number of kilometres you travelled. That is your fuel
mileage (in litres/100km) for that tank of fuel.

Kathy and Erich Coiner June 25th 05 07:40 PM

1. Fill Tank.
2. Record mileage.
3. Drive car till near empty.
4. Fill tank again. Use same pump at same station. Let the auto shutoff
system work. (Do this on initial fillup too. Record gallons to fill
5. Record mileage.
6 mpg= (mileage step 5-mileage step 2)/gallons used step 4.

Erich

Merritt Mullen June 25th 05 08:08 PM

In article >,
"Mark A" > wrote:

> Newbie" > wrote in message
> > It may seem like a superfluous question, but what is the best way of
> > calculating what mmg yuor vehicle is getting? I have my miles reading
> > of course, and I can record how much gas I put in, but there was some
> > gas already there in the tank, and how do I know what was traveled on
> > how much gas? If you have a good system, please share!

> You have to do it over a long period of time (many tank fulls) and then
> estimate the beginning fuel level the very first time. Any error in
> estimating the beginning fuel level the first time will be minimized when
> looking at 10 or more tanks of gas to calculate the mileage.

Just ignore the first tank. Fill up the tank and note the mileage. After
that, so long as you fill up and note the mileage each time, the amount of
fuel it take to fill up is the amount used since the fill up, so simply
divide the miles since the last fill up by the amount it took to fill up
the tank and you have your miles per gallon.

As Mark says, do it over many fill ups to get an accurate average. I
usually note whether the driving between fill ups is local or highway, as
there will usually be a distinct difference in MPG between the two.

Merritt

SnoMan June 25th 05 08:36 PM

"newbie7" wrote:
> It may seem like a superfluous question, but what is the best
> way of
> calculating what mmg yuor vehicle is getting? I have my miles
> reading
> of course, and I can record how much gas I put in, but there
> was some
> gas already there in the tank, and how do I know what was
> traveled on
> how much gas? If you have a good system, please share!

Also, lacking a trip meter, record miles on odometer at fillup, take a
new reading at next fillup and subtract the old reading from the new
reading and then divide the result by the gallons used.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Toyota-com...ict126140.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=614773

No Spam June 25th 05 08:48 PM

"Newbie" > wrote in message
> It may seem like a superfluous question, but what is the best way of
> calculating what mmg yuor vehicle is getting? I have my miles reading
> of course, and I can record how much gas I put in, but there was some
> gas already there in the tank, and how do I know what was traveled on
> how much gas? If you have a good system, please share!

Amazing. Our educational system on display.

davidj92 June 25th 05 09:03 PM

Newbie wrote:
> It may seem like a superfluous question

I agree wholeheartedly
davidj92

[email protected] June 25th 05 10:03 PM

Fill the tank, record the mileage, run the tank down. Fill it
again. Subtract the mileage at the first fill from the mileage
at the second filling. Divide that figure by the amount of fuel
consumed. If that is too complicated ask your math professor for
additional help after class, WBMA

mike hunt