AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What Month was 525i 1990 manufactured? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=25768)

JoeBeem March 2nd 05 03:33 PM

What Month was 525i 1990 manufactured?

Does anyone know how to tell what month the car was manufactured? Can
you tell by a digit in the VIN? There is nothing on any of the door
jams. Help, I need to order some strut replacements and for some
reason it matters if made before June or after July. Thanks.

fbloogyudsr March 2nd 05 04:09 PM

"JoeBeem" > wrote
> Does anyone know how to tell what month the car was manufactured? Can
> you tell by a digit in the VIN? There is nothing on any of the door
> jams. Help, I need to order some strut replacements and for some
> reason it matters if made before June or after July. Thanks.

Hmmm. On my '91 525i, there's a date on the lower manufacturer's sticker
on the driver's door jamb. (This is in the US.) Maybe things were
different
a year earlier. Check the stickers in the engine compartment, particularly
the emissions sticker.

If you're missing stickers, it's a good sign that the car was repaired
(or stolen/rebuilt) in that area from a wreck.

Last choice (in the US at least; might be able to do the same in EU),
is to create an account in bmwna.com in the owner's circle and enter
your VIN - it should tell you all about it.

Floyd

JoeBeem March 2nd 05 04:25 PM

Geeze, that's scary. When I say there were no stickers, there was on
that had the VIN number on it, but that's it. Usually, I would think
there would be some plate. I'll have to check the engine compartment,
but I'm not sure there were stickers that I noticed. I'll try the
bmwna.com thing. Thanks, for your help.

fbloogyudsr March 2nd 05 05:03 PM

"JoeBeem" > wrote
> Geeze, that's scary. When I say there were no stickers, there was on
> that had the VIN number on it, but that's it. Usually, I would think
> there would be some plate.

On the VIN sticker on my door jamb, the manufacturing date is on
the upper right...

Floyd

Jeff Strickland March 2nd 05 11:14 PM

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
> "JoeBeem" > wrote
> > Geeze, that's scary. When I say there were no stickers, there was on
> > that had the VIN number on it, but that's it. Usually, I would think
> > there would be some plate.

> On the VIN sticker on my door jamb, the manufacturing date is on
> the upper right...
>
> Floyd

Ffloyd,
I think that sticker is unique to the US market.

Jan Kalin March 3rd 05 11:07 AM

In article .com>,
JoeBeem wrote:
>Does anyone know how to tell what month the car was manufactured? Can
>you tell by a digit in the VIN? There is nothing on any of the door
>jams. Help, I need to order some strut replacements and for some
>reason it matters if made before June or after July. Thanks.

Use VIN decoder at http://www.e34.de/vin/index.php; Enter the last part of
VIN, i.e., two letters and 5 digits, press Enter and read the
manufacturing month under "Produktion".

--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng/, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"

JoeBeem March 6th 05 01:53 AM

Hi Jan,
Thanks so much for the information. I put it in the web site and it
worked great. It was made in March of 1990. That is exactly what I
needed.

I appreciate your reply.

Thank you.

Joe