AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Honda daylight running lights in Canada (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=11217)

Veggie November 6th 04 03:37 AM

Honda daylight running lights in Canada

For Hondas in Canada, which lights are used for DRL? Is the headlights,
or amber turn signal lights?

Sean D November 6th 04 06:09 AM

It's the highbeams, but with lower current so their not too bright.

. com...

Milleron November 8th 04 02:28 PM

I'm a strong believer in running lights, and I've been disappointed
that Honda doesn't have this feature in the US. Does anyone know if
my dealer could swap a part with a similar part from the Canadian
model to provide a 2003 Accord with running lights?

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 06:09:39 GMT, "Sean D" > wrote:

>It's the highbeams, but with lower current so their not too bright.
>
>"Veggie" > wrote in message
.com...
>> For Hondas in Canada, which lights are used for DRL? Is the headlights,
>> or amber turn signal lights?

Ron

Timothy J. Lee November 8th 04 05:05 PM

In article >,
Milleron > wrote:
>I'm a strong believer in running lights, and I've been disappointed
>that Honda doesn't have this feature in the US. Does anyone know if
>my dealer could swap a part with a similar part from the Canadian
>model to provide a 2003 Accord with running lights?

Just turn on your headlamps whenever you drive, day or night. You'll
get daytime running lamps without annoying anyone with high beams.
(Yes, even at reduced intensity, high beams are annoying, particularly
in overcast weather and near dusk.)

Timothy J. Lee

DC November 8th 04 09:05 PM

"Timothy J. Lee" > wrote in message news:cmo91c$eq5
> You'll
> get daytime running lamps without annoying anyone with high beams.
> (Yes, even at reduced intensity, high beams are annoying, particularly
> in overcast weather and near dusk.)

You mean to tell me that DRL use the high beam lamps? I didn't know that.

--
Disclaimer: This post is solely an individual opinion and does not speak on
behalf of any organization.

Sean D November 8th 04 10:45 PM

"DC" > wrote in message
> "Timothy J. Lee" > wrote in message news:cmo91c$eq5
> > You'll
> > get daytime running lamps without annoying anyone with high beams.
> > (Yes, even at reduced intensity, high beams are annoying, particularly
> > in overcast weather and near dusk.)

> You mean to tell me that DRL use the high beam lamps? I didn't know that.

Well I can't say that for all cars but know for the sure the new Accord do.
I've seen some Dodge Caravans use the yellow parking lights for DRL. I
guess it depends on how the manufacturer decides to go about it.
Personally, I find the high beam solution to be the best. Since it's
daytime and the amperage is turned down to reduce the brightness of the
bulb, they do not blind oncoming drivers. Quite the opposite. Because they
are the highbeams, you can be seen from much farther away.

Imminent Vengeance November 8th 04 10:54 PM

Sean D wrote:

>> You mean to tell me that DRL use the high beam lamps? I didn't know that.

> Well I can't say that for all cars but know for the sure the new Accord do.

My '93 Accord also uses the high beam lamps.

Milleron November 8th 04 11:55 PM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:05:49 GMT, (Timothy J. Lee)
wrote:

>In article >,
>Milleron > wrote:
>>I'm a strong believer in running lights, and I've been disappointed
>>that Honda doesn't have this feature in the US. Does anyone know if
>>my dealer could swap a part with a similar part from the Canadian
>>model to provide a 2003 Accord with running lights?

>Just turn on your headlamps whenever you drive, day or night. You'll
>get daytime running lamps without annoying anyone with high beams.
>(Yes, even at reduced intensity, high beams are annoying, particularly
>in overcast weather and near dusk.)

Well, I had thought of that (d'oh), but I don't want low beams at
normal wattage. I'd prefer high-beams at low intensity. That's why I
asked the question. Also, if I turn on low beams, then the navigation
system dims (requires a manual reset every time), and all the dash
lights illuminate in broad daylight which I don't like on principle

Does anyone know the answer to my original question? I'm not willing
to pay big bucks for the conversion, but if it might be a simple
matter of switching out a relatively inexpensive controller, I'd love
to know about it.
Thanks in advance.

Ron

motsco_ _ November 9th 04 05:34 AM

Milleron wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:05:49 GMT, (Timothy J. Lee)
> wrote:
>

>>In article >,
>>Milleron > wrote:
>>
>>>I'm a strong believer in running lights, and I've been disappointed
>>>that Honda doesn't have this feature in the US. Does anyone know if
>>>my dealer could swap a part with a similar part from the Canadian
>>>model to provide a 2003 Accord with running lights?

>>Just turn on your headlamps whenever you drive, day or night. You'll
>>get daytime running lamps without annoying anyone with high beams.
>>(Yes, even at reduced intensity, high beams are annoying, particularly
>>in overcast weather and near dusk.)

> Well, I had thought of that (d'oh), but I don't want low beams at
> normal wattage. I'd prefer high-beams at low intensity. That's why I
> asked the question. Also, if I turn on low beams, then the navigation
> system dims (requires a manual reset every time), and all the dash
> lights illuminate in broad daylight which I don't like on principle
>
> Does anyone know the answer to my original question? I'm not willing
> to pay big bucks for the conversion, but if it might be a simple
> matter of switching out a relatively inexpensive controller, I'd love
> to know about it.
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Ron

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do a search at hondasuv.com, in the CRV side of the forum. There was a
good link to an american company with a kit that cost about $70. Look
for 'DRL'.

'Curly'

motsco_ _ November 9th 04 06:11 AM

motsco_ _ wrote:
> Milleron wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:05:49 GMT, (Timothy J. Lee)
>> wrote:

>>> Just turn on your headlamps whenever you drive, day or night. You'll
>>> get daytime running lamps without annoying anyone with high beams.
>>> (Yes, even at reduced intensity, high beams are annoying, particularly
>>> in overcast weather and near dusk.)

>> Well, I had thought of that (d'oh), but I don't want low beams at
>> normal wattage. I'd prefer high-beams at low intensity. That's why I
>> asked the question. Also, if I turn on low beams, then the navigation
>> system dims (requires a manual reset every time), and all the dash
>> lights illuminate in broad daylight which I don't like on principle
>>
>> Does anyone know the answer to my original question? I'm not willing
>> to pay big bucks for the conversion, but if it might be a simple
>> matter of switching out a relatively inexpensive controller, I'd love
>> to know about it.
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>> Ron

> Do a search at hondasuv.com, in the CRV side of the forum. There was a
> good link to an american company with a kit that cost about $70. Look
> for 'DRL'.
>
> 'Curly'

try this link:

http://www.racerwheel.com/lighting-a...ness-kits.html