AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Cleaning the rear window (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=20518)

Nielsen January 8th 05 09:02 AM

Cleaning the rear window

Hi all,
This is propably a question ask many times before.... I am about to
purchase a Miate from 97, and I noticed a yellow/orange'ish layer on
the plastic rear window.
The current owner says he have tried everything to remove it, but are
there someone out there with the magic answer ??

Thanks
/Rene

Lanny Chambers January 8th 05 04:41 PM

In article >,
Nielsen > wrote:

> This is propably a question ask many times before.... I am about to
> purchase a Miate from 97, and I noticed a yellow/orange'ish layer on
> the plastic rear window.
> The current owner says he have tried everything to remove it, but are
> there someone out there with the magic answer ??

I use Meguiar's #10 and #17. Novus and Zymol also make good cleaners. Be
prepared to spend an hour or so rubbing the window at an uncomfortable
angle. I wouldn't work on the window in weather under 60?F.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C

Leon van Dommelen January 9th 05 01:12 AM

Nielsen > wrote:

>Hi all,
>This is propably a question ask many times before.... I am about to
>purchase a Miate from 97, and I noticed a yellow/orange'ish layer on
>the plastic rear window.
>The current owner says he have tried everything to remove it, but are
>there someone out there with the magic answer ??

Yes, when you buy it, you will need to replace the window soon.
Its chemical structure is breaking down due to age and sunlight
exposure, and that is an exponential process.

You may want to take that into account in your offer.

Dealer installed new tops (window alone is typically not worth
doing) are expensive. Aftermarket tops are much more reasonable,
And the installation is a bitch, but *can* be done by reasonably
handy and *careful* people in a day or so. (See miata.net for
details.)

A Miata dealer in Germany is ilmotorsports.de I do not know how
they are on soft top prices.

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen :) Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata .)
http://www.dommelen.net/miata