AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rear Ended on Freeway (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73243)

[email protected] August 27th 06 06:50 AM

Rear Ended on Freeway

I was driving along the freeway with the speed limit at 70 mph, and I
was going about that fast. The lady in front of me slammed on her
brakes HARD. It was so hard that by the time I hit her car I couldn't
see it because of all the smoke from her tires. I was maintaining a
safe following distance (3 seconds), but it was still not enough time
for me to stop my car. The officer claimed it was my fault because I
didn't give her enough room. I don't think I should have to pay for the
extensive damage on my car. Any thoughts from anyone?

Brent P[_1_] August 27th 06 07:40 AM

Rear Ended on Freeway

In article . com>, wrote:
> I was driving along the freeway with the speed limit at 70 mph, and I
> was going about that fast. The lady in front of me slammed on her
> brakes HARD. It was so hard that by the time I hit her car I couldn't
> see it because of all the smoke from her tires. I was maintaining a
> safe following distance (3 seconds), but it was still not enough time
> for me to stop my car. The officer claimed it was my fault because I
> didn't give her enough room. I don't think I should have to pay for the
> extensive damage on my car. Any thoughts from anyone?

She could have cut you off while going 30mph slower than you, with a 1
foot gap and then slammed on the brakes and the cops would have still
faulted you and insurance would still fault you.

Least that's my experience.....

Needless to say, you were directly behind her and couldn't stop so... yes
it's your fault. It's pretty clear that if you did maintain distance you
didn't react quickly enough or there is fault in your vehicle's breaking
system. Or you drive one of those giant SUVs that's equiped with brakes I
would consider insuffient on a civic.

Especially telling is the cloud of blue smoke. This means she locked them
up and was sliding. In turn, that means she wasn't stopping as quickly as
possible.

The only way I can see this being her fault is if she did it for no
reason but to cause a collision or she hit something in front of her,
which brought her to a very sudden stop.

Harry K August 27th 06 02:55 PM

Rear Ended on Freeway

wrote:
> I was driving along the freeway with the speed limit at 70 mph, and I
> was going about that fast. The lady in front of me slammed on her
> brakes HARD. It was so hard that by the time I hit her car I couldn't
> see it because of all the smoke from her tires. I was maintaining a
> safe following distance (3 seconds), but it was still not enough time
> for me to stop my car. The officer claimed it was my fault because I
> didn't give her enough room. I don't think I should have to pay for the
> extensive damage on my car. Any thoughts from anyone?

As Brent said, the only way you could fail to stop before hitting her
with a 3 sec gap is mechanical failure (bad brakes), not paying
attention, or very poor reflexes.

There is also the question of why you didn't try to avoid her by
steering around her on one side or the other.

Harry K

Bill Funk August 27th 06 03:39 PM

Rear Ended on Freeway

On 26 Aug 2006 22:50:41 -0700, wrote:

>I was driving along the freeway with the speed limit at 70 mph, and I
>was going about that fast. The lady in front of me slammed on her
>brakes HARD. It was so hard that by the time I hit her car I couldn't
>see it because of all the smoke from her tires. I was maintaining a
>safe following distance (3 seconds), but it was still not enough time
>for me to stop my car. The officer claimed it was my fault because I
>didn't give her enough room. I don't think I should have to pay for the
>extensive damage on my car. Any thoughts from anyone?

Well, you hit her fair and square. A three-second space should have
been enough, but if you still hit her, it obviously wasn't, for some
reason. Are your brakes in good shape? How are your tires? Did you eat
up two of those seconds fiddling with the radio, or anythign else?
It's interesting that you don't complain about paying for the damage
to HER car, just to yours.
I can only surmise you don't have collision insurance, right?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_] August 27th 06 04:11 PM

Rear Ended on Freeway

On 26 Aug 2006 22:50:41 -0700, wrote:

>I was driving along the freeway with the speed limit at 70 mph, and I
>was going about that fast. The lady in front of me slammed on her
>brakes HARD. It was so hard that by the time I hit her car I couldn't
>see it because of all the smoke from her tires. I was maintaining a
>safe following distance (3 seconds), but it was still not enough time
>for me to stop my car. The officer claimed it was my fault because I
>didn't give her enough room. I don't think I should have to pay for the
>extensive damage on my car. Any thoughts from anyone?

If you'd been doing 50 you'd have been able to stop in time. You can't
drive too slow.

Tim923 August 27th 06 04:38 PM

Rear Ended on Freeway

On 27 Aug 2006 06:55:06 -0700, "Harry K" >
wrote:

>As Brent said, the only way you could fail to stop before hitting her
>with a 3 sec gap is mechanical failure (bad brakes), not paying
>attention, or very poor reflexes.

What was the driver stopping for? I think we all agree that it's
dangerous to slam on the breaks to a complete stop in a 70mph zone for
no good reason. It's just not expected.

Was there a squirrel in the road? A pedestrian in the road? Needed to
stop to take a look at the map? Needed to stop to change lanes to make
an exit in time? I wish they'd drive right PAST the exit and come back
to it. That's what I do.

I was involved in such an accident and hit the car ahead of me.
Unfortunately I had to learn who's fault it is was, based on the law.
My insurance covered the accident. And now I look out for brake
slammers and provide extra space. I warn other people that sometimes
drivers will just slam on the brakes for no apparent reason.

John S. August 27th 06 05:51 PM

Rear Ended on Freeway

wrote:
> I was driving along the freeway with the speed limit at 70 mph, and I
> was going about that fast. The lady in front of me slammed on her
> brakes HARD. It was so hard that by the time I hit her car I couldn't
> see it because of all the smoke from her tires. I was maintaining a
> safe following distance (3 seconds), but it was still not enough time
> for me to stop my car. The officer claimed it was my fault because I
> didn't give her enough room. I don't think I should have to pay for the
> extensive damage on my car. Any thoughts from anyone?

Since you ran into the rear of her car you were following too close for
circumstances. And yes you should and will have to pay for the
extensive damage to both your car and hers. Period.

wtrplnet August 27th 06 05:52 PM

Rear Ended on Freeway

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> said in rec.autos.driving:
>
> >I was driving along the freeway with the speed limit at 70 mph, and I
> >was going about that fast. The lady in front of me slammed on her
> >brakes HARD. It was so hard that by the time I hit her car I couldn't
> >see it because of all the smoke from her tires. I was maintaining a
> >safe following distance (3 seconds), but it was still not enough time
> >for me to stop my car.

> Did anyone miss the irony of that statement?
> --
> I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

Just to make it unanimous, yes, it's your fault.

Harry K August 27th 06 07:34 PM

Rear Ended on Freeway

Tim923 wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2006 06:55:06 -0700, "Harry K" >
> wrote:
>
> >As Brent said, the only way you could fail to stop before hitting her
> >with a 3 sec gap is mechanical failure (bad brakes), not paying
> >attention, or very poor reflexes.

> What was the driver stopping for? I think we all agree that it's
> dangerous to slam on the breaks to a complete stop in a 70mph zone for
> no good reason. It's just not expected.
>
> Was there a squirrel in the road? A pedestrian in the road? Needed to
> stop to take a look at the map? Needed to stop to change lanes to make
> an exit in time? I wish they'd drive right PAST the exit and come back
> to it. That's what I do.
>
> I was involved in such an accident and hit the car ahead of me.
> Unfortunately I had to learn who's fault it is was, based on the law.
> My insurance covered the accident. And now I look out for brake
> slammers and provide extra space. I warn other people that sometimes
> drivers will just slam on the brakes for no apparent reason.

Granted that slamming on brakes is a poor practice but if you rear end
someone, _why_ they slammed them on is of no interest to anyone except
maybe you (excepting swoop and stops of course).

Harry K

Bill Funk August 27th 06 07:57 PM

Rear Ended on Freeway

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:11:37 GMT, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
MURDERERS > wrote:

>On 26 Aug 2006 22:50:41 -0700, wrote:
>
>>I was driving along the freeway with the speed limit at 70 mph, and I
>>was going about that fast. The lady in front of me slammed on her
>>brakes HARD. It was so hard that by the time I hit her car I couldn't
>>see it because of all the smoke from her tires. I was maintaining a
>>safe following distance (3 seconds), but it was still not enough time
>>for me to stop my car. The officer claimed it was my fault because I
>>didn't give her enough room. I don't think I should have to pay for the
>>extensive damage on my car. Any thoughts from anyone?

>If you'd been doing 50 you'd have been able to stop in time. You can't
>drive too slow.

Then why do you recommend 50mph?
Have the nice man in the white jacket explain this question to you.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"