AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How to take out bent valves (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72254)

[email protected] August 14th 06 01:32 AM

How to take out bent valves

Hi,

I am fixing my 91 Passat. I took the cylinder head out, 4 intake valves
are bent, I want to replace these. How do I take them out? Seems that a
valve keeper is holding them but this is just a guess. Or is it just a
matter hammering them out?

Dimag

[email protected] August 14th 06 03:28 AM

How to take out bent valves

wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am fixing my 91 Passat. I took the cylinder head out, 4 intake valves
> are bent, I want to replace these. How do I take them out? Seems that a
> valve keeper is holding them but this is just a guess. Or is it just a
> matter hammering them out?
>
> Dimag

more on to this: I purchased Craftsman spring compession tool. trying
to get a bent valve out and it does not even move. What do people do in
this case? Does anybody go after a job replacing bent valves once
pistons hit them or just buy a new cylinder head from a wrecker? my
timing belt pulley froze, ripped a few teeth from the new timing belt
and here is the outcome... Dimag

One out of many daves August 14th 06 09:27 PM

How to take out bent valves

Then WHY did the Timing Belt Pulley Freeze or Seize UP?
Usually the timing belt is older than 40K miles and loses some teeth or
breaks. :-(
(BTW I recommend changing these timing belts every 40-50K miles)
You will have to compress the valve springs to release pressure on the
keepers.
Are you planning on replacing the valve guides also?
I have usually taken my cylinder heads over to a GOOD machine shop and let
them do the work.

Got a repair manual like a Bentley?

good luck,
dave
(One out of many daves)

oups.com...

Regal53[_1_] August 15th 06 12:19 AM

How to take out bent valves

OK this is how I do it: Bang the valve heads fairly straight with a hammer
so they get pulled back onto their seats. Take a brass hammer and a 1/2 inch
deep socket, place socket on center of retainer and hit socket top a couple
of times with the brass hammer. This should break the bond on the keepers
and retainer. You should be able to compress the springs now, if not repeat
dose. Use a pocket magnet and a pocket screwdriver to collect keepers. Mark
good valves with permanent marker on heads like 1IF (cylinder 1 intake
front) and so on, keeping retainer, keepers, valve, springs together so they
t...

Jim Behning[_1_] August 15th 06 12:45 AM

How to take out bent valves

I was going to suggest that installing a new valve or valves will do
nothing to fix the manged valve guides. A trip to a machine shop is in
order.

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:27:36 GMT, "One out of many daves"
> wrote:

>Then WHY did the Timing Belt Pulley Freeze or Seize UP?
>Usually the timing belt is older than 40K miles and loses some teeth or
>breaks. :-(
>(BTW I recommend changing these timing belts every 40-50K miles)
>You will have to compress the valve springs to release pressure on the
>keepers.
>Are you planning on replacing the valve guides also?
>I have usually taken my cylinder heads over to a GOOD machine shop and let
>them do the work.
>
>Got a repair manual like a Bentley?
>
>good luck,
>dave
>(One out of many daves)

roups.com...

[email protected] August 15th 06 07:03 PM

How to take out bent valves

One out of many daves wrote:
> Then WHY did the Timing Belt Pulley Freeze or Seize UP?
> Usually the timing belt is older than 40K miles and loses some teeth or
> breaks. :-(
> (BTW I recommend changing these timing belts every 40-50K miles)
> You will have to compress the valve springs to release pressure on the
> keepers.
> Are you planning on replacing the valve guides also?
> I have usually taken my cylinder heads over to a GOOD machine shop and let
> them do the work.
>
> Got a repair manual like a Bentley?
>
> good luck,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)

>>Then WHY did the Timing Belt Pulley Freeze or Seize UP?

Because the guys that did the job of replacing the old timing belt did
not replace the tensioner pulley. So the new timing belt that they put
in broke with 5000 miles on it. From now on I am doing the repairs
myself.

[email protected] August 15th 06 07:04 PM

How to take out bent valves

Regal53 wrote:
> OK this is how I do it: Bang the valve heads fairly straight with a hammer
> so they get pulled back onto their seats. Take a brass hammer and a 1/2 inch
> deep socket, place socket on center of retainer and hit socket top a couple
> of times with the brass hammer. This should break the bond on the keepers
> and retainer. You should be able to compress the springs now, if not repeat
> dose. Use a pocket magnet and a pocket screwdriver to collect keepers. Mark
> good valves with permanent marker on heads like 1IF (cylinder 1 intake
> front) and so on, keeping retainer, keepers, valve, springs together so they
> "One out of many daves" > wrote in message
> t...
> > Then WHY did the Timing Belt Pulley Freeze or Seize UP?
> > Usually the timing belt is older than 40K miles and loses some teeth or
> > breaks. :-(
> > (BTW I recommend changing these timing belts every 40-50K miles)
> > You will have to compress the valve springs to release pressure on the
> > keepers.
> > Are you planning on replacing the valve guides also?
> > I have usually taken my cylinder heads over to a GOOD machine shop and let
> > them do the work.
> >
> > Got a repair manual like a Bentley?
> >
> > good luck,
> > dave
> > (One out of many daves)
> >
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

> >> more on to this: I purchased Craftsman spring compession tool. trying
> >> to get a bent valve out and it does not even move. What do people do in
> >> this case? Does anybody go after a job replacing bent valves once
> >> pistons hit them or just buy a new cylinder head from a wrecker? my
> >> timing belt pulley froze, ripped a few teeth from the new timing belt
> >> and here is the outcome... Dimag

Thank you! Will follow the procedure today