AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   jack points (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=11078)

z4869375 October 16th 04 04:48 PM

jack points

I bought a hydraulic trolley jack and a couple of jack stands. Can I
jack up the car anywhere along the edge or must I use the jack points
near the front and rear wheels/fenders?

Ultimately I want to do my own oil changes, so I need to jack up the
car, then place the jack stands underneath.

Seth October 16th 04 05:31 PM

"z4869375" > wrote in message

> Ultimately I want to do my own oil changes, so I need to jack up the
> car, then place the jack stands underneath.

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a set of $20 ramps? You don't need the
tires off the ground for an oil change.

I use ramps for anything the tires don't need to be off the ground for. I
use my jack for changing tires, doing brakes, stuff like that.

Right tool for the right job.

z4869375 October 16th 04 05:51 PM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:31:05 GMT, "Seth"
> wrote:

>"z4869375" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Ultimately I want to do my own oil changes, so I need to jack up the
>> car, then place the jack stands underneath.

>Wouldn't it be easier to just get a set of $20 ramps? You don't need the
>tires off the ground for an oil change.
>
>I use ramps for anything the tires don't need to be off the ground for. I
>use my jack for changing tires, doing brakes, stuff like that.
>
>Right tool for the right job.

Actually ramps do sound like a better idea since they are safer. When
I looked at ramps, I thought I would have problems getting my car up
them (RSX-S) since I believe its slightly lower than other Hondas.

John Ings October 16th 04 06:24 PM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:48:22 -0400, z4869375 >
wrote:

>I bought a hydraulic trolley jack and a couple of jack stands. Can I
>jack up the car anywhere along the edge or must I use the jack points
>near the front and rear wheels/fenders?

If you could do that, why would they put in specially reinforced
jacking points?

You can also place your jack under either of the lower suspension arms
though, or most anywhere under the subframe in which the engine is
mounted and to which the suspension arms are bolted.
At the front this is usually directly under the radiator although it
may be hiddden by plastic splash shields. Always use your jack stands,
never the jack alone. Usually those are placed under the suspension
arms or the subframe.

Make sure the little 'crown' at the end of the jack arm is so placed
that it won't slip. Trolley jacks are meant to be used on a hard, flat
surface. If you have the park brake on so the car can't roll (which
you should) the trolley jack has to be free to move a little as its
arm swings up. If you're on soft ground and the wheels dig in, the
'crown' may be pulled off a narrow object like a suspension arm.

You don't have to go very far under the car to change the oil, but if
you plan on changing your oil filter you're going to have to go way
under there and the further up the car is the easier it is. Make sure
it's stable and safe.

Seth October 16th 04 06:39 PM

"z4869375" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:31:05 GMT, "Seth"
> > wrote:
>
>>"z4869375" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Ultimately I want to do my own oil changes, so I need to jack up the
>>> car, then place the jack stands underneath.

>>Wouldn't it be easier to just get a set of $20 ramps? You don't need the
>>tires off the ground for an oil change.
>>
>>I use ramps for anything the tires don't need to be off the ground for. I
>>use my jack for changing tires, doing brakes, stuff like that.
>>
>>Right tool for the right job.

> Actually ramps do sound like a better idea since they are safer. When
> I looked at ramps, I thought I would have problems getting my car up
> them (RSX-S) since I believe its slightly lower than other Hondas.

I believe I've seen different height and length ramps. Just get a long low
set and you should be able to drive right up.

Burt Squareman October 17th 04 08:35 AM

"z4869375" > wrote in message
> I bought a hydraulic trolley jack and a couple of jack stands. Can I
> jack up the car anywhere along the edge or must I use the jack points
> near the front and rear wheels/fenders?
> Ultimately I want to do my own oil changes, so I need to jack up the
> car, then place the jack stands underneath.

Use a one foot 2x4 or 4x4 as a support if you jack the center. Some
cars can be heavier so avoid bending the frame. Ramps can waste
storage space and unsightly compared to the bottle jack

--
Burt