AutoBanter

-   Saturn (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   92 SL stalling (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=12737)

maconu August 11th 04 08:06 PM

92 SL stalling

My 92 sl just died doing about 70 down the highway. Since then, the car
will start up, drive about ten minutes, the oil gauge will shoot up to hot
then the car dies. Sometimes it will start immediately, other times you
have to let it set. Have taken it to 2 different mechanics. One said to
replace the positive battery cable the other said it was the EGR valve. I
have replaced the cable and cleaned the valve, but the car still drives
for about ten minutes and then dies. Any ideas???

Thanks!!!!

Blah Blah August 12th 04 04:58 AM

In article <792900c9355cb9893390a25c8f0d4be2
@localhost.talkaboutautos.com>, says...
> My 92 sl just died doing about 70 down the highway. Since then, the car
> will start up, drive about ten minutes, the oil gauge will shoot up to hot
> then the car dies. Sometimes it will start immediately, other times you
> have to let it set. Have taken it to 2 different mechanics. One said to
> replace the positive battery cable the other said it was the EGR valve. I
> have replaced the cable and cleaned the valve, but the car still drives
> for about ten minutes and then dies. Any ideas???
>
> Thanks!!!!

"oil gauge will shoot up to hot"?

These have a oil temp gage?

maconu August 12th 04 10:54 PM

im sorry, the oil pressure gauge shoots to "h"...

Blah Blah August 13th 04 12:25 AM

In article <b1342c11e4fd31daa82600cb24277be4
@localhost.talkaboutautos.com>, says...
> im sorry, the oil pressure gauge shoots to "h"...

Not sure one that saturn but the "oil pressure sensor" doubles as the
"fuel pump relay" on most modern cars. If there is no oil pressure the
fuel pump wont run. Since it is spiking it might be shorting out
internally. Thats all I have to go on right now from your discription.

maconu August 22nd 04 07:01 PM

thank you for the advice. it is very much appreciated.