AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wipers/Radio Problem (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72342)

uhh-ohh August 15th 06 02:55 AM

Wipers/Radio Problem

Hi

I replaced my alternator and battery a few months ago because my '97
Cherokee Sport wouldn't hold a charge, and occasionally upon starting
the wipers and radio wouldn't work. Also stalled once when I was
driving... scary.

The alternator/battery replacement took care of the problem where the
battery wouldn't hold a charge, but I still have the intermittent
problem where the wipers and radio don't work. However, if I turn off
the vehicle and then turn it on again, the wipers and radio are usually
on. Because I live in a rainy area, I always have to check to make sure
they are on when I start up to go somewhere as I don't want to get
stuck in a driving situation with my wipers unavailable.

If it starts and they are working from the start, they don't go off or
anything. It's good as long as they start when I crank the engine up.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
"uhh ohh"

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_] August 15th 06 02:59 AM

Wipers/Radio Problem

Ignition switch, prove it by just barley moving the key in the on
position, to re-make the connection. Also get rid some of the junk you
have attached to your key ring.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

billy ray August 15th 06 03:49 AM

Wipers/Radio Problem

And clean all your ground connections.

uhh-ohh August 15th 06 04:32 AM

Wipers/Radio Problem

> Ignition switch, prove it by just barley moving the key in the on
> position, to re-make the connection. Also get rid some of the junk you
> have attached to your key ring.

Sorry, I'm not too good with this stuff, hopefully by learning little
by little I'll save myself a few dollars here and there.

Can you please tell me what it is that you think is wrong with the
ignition switch, and what you might suggest I can do about it?

Thanks.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_] August 15th 06 05:09 AM

Wipers/Radio Problem

Usually when the ignition switch finds a position that's half on
and half off, it worn out. Fairly easy to replace just under the plastic
column cover: http://www.billhughes.com/TJingitionSwitch.pdf or just
under dash height on the end of a push rod:
http://www.billhughes.com/YJcolumnShafts.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Mike Romain August 15th 06 02:25 PM

Wipers/Radio Problem

I would first be cleaning the ground strap that runs from the rear of
the engine head to the firewall. A bad one will cause your symptoms and
the alternator/battery issue depending on where the body steals it's
ground from. (the battery only gets half charged which can kill it)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

philthy August 17th 06 01:02 AM

Wipers/Radio Problem

reclean battery posts and terminals

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_] August 17th 06 01:34 AM

Wipers/Radio Problem

Ditto. Which will give him another fault code 12 idiot light, for
three cold to hot runs.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

uhh-ohh August 19th 06 01:19 AM

Wipers/Radio Problem

Wow, what a lot of great help. Thank you to everyone that posted. I'll
try these solutions and will hopefully have a chance to post again and
let you know what worked!