AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Toyota pick-up Air Conditioner Intermittant Cooling (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=71883)

jeff August 9th 06 03:19 PM

Toyota pick-up Air Conditioner Intermittant Cooling

I have a 93 toyota std MT pick-up truck. The air conditioner which had
worked fine for 12 years it stopped cooling this spring. I had a can
of the old type of refrigerant and charged it and it cooled fine for
about a week. Then it stopped cooling. I had no more of the old type
freon so I put the new type connector on the low pressure side, bled
any remaining old type freon out then charged the system with the new
134a type freon, about 8 oz until it started cooling well. It worked
well for about a month but now it only cools intermittantly.

Sometimes when I first start it in the morning the air coming out is
not cool but later begins cooling. Other times it cools fine after
start-up then stops cooling after say 10 or 20 mintes. Usually I can
turn off the A/C switch for about 5-10 minutes then turn it back on and
it begins to cool again. Or if I turn off the truck and park it then
come back and start it back up it begins cooling again. When its not
cooling I can see that the compressor is spinning. Also ther is
pressure at the low pressure side.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

* August 9th 06 08:42 PM

Toyota pick-up Air Conditioner Intermittant Cooling

jeff > wrote in article
.com>...
> I have a 93 toyota std MT pick-up truck. The air conditioner which had
> worked fine for 12 years it stopped cooling this spring. I had a can
> of the old type of refrigerant and charged it and it cooled fine for
> about a week. Then it stopped cooling. I had no more of the old type
> freon so I put the new type connector on the low pressure side, bled
> any remaining old type freon out

......which IS a severe violation of emmission control laws......

Is it any wonder why the Feds are making it harder for people who actually
KNOW what they are doing?

Just look to self-serving assholes like this who could not care less about
others.....

> then charged the system with the new
> 134a type freon, about 8 oz until it started cooling well.

I didn't see ANY reference to vacuuming the system down.....DID YOU?

Did you change the O-rings to correspond with the new refrigerant?

Did you use the correct oil?

> It worked
> well for about a month but now it only cools intermittantly.

Aw, Geez.......And you did EVERYTHING you could to bring things up to
spec.....

> Sometimes when I first start it in the morning the air coming out is
> not cool but later begins cooling. Other times it cools fine after
> start-up then stops cooling after say 10 or 20 mintes. Usually I can
> turn off the A/C switch for about 5-10 minutes then turn it back on and
> it begins to cool again. Or if I turn off the truck and park it then
> come back and start it back up it begins cooling again. When its not
> cooling I can see that the compressor is spinning. Also ther is
> pressure at the low pressure side.

How about some numbers.....or is "some" the extent of your critical
tolerances?

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Step away from the car....

You are a self-admitted danger to the environment and yourself......

You obviously do not know enough about air conditioning to be ****ing with
it......