AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Question about a term in the MUTCD (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8243)

DYM January 12th 05 01:58 AM

Question about a term in the MUTCD

All these references to the MUTCD and speed regulations got me to
actually read (parts so far) of the manual.

In section 2B.13 Speed Limit Sign (R2-1) under the heading Option B:
The pace speed.

What is the pace speed? How is this defined?

DYM

Brent P January 12th 05 03:30 AM

In article >, DYM wrote:
> All these references to the MUTCD and speed regulations got me to
> actually read (parts so far) of the manual.
>
> In section 2B.13 Speed Limit Sign (R2-1) under the heading Option B:
> The pace speed.
>
> What is the pace speed? How is this defined?

Found it...

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/HTM/millen...UTCD_part1.htm

75. <...>
f. Pace Speed.the highest speed within a specific range of speeds that
represents more vehicles than in any other like range of speed. The range
of speeds typically used is 10 km/h or 10 mph.

So basically, it's the peak portion of the bell curve distribution.

Brent P January 12th 05 03:30 AM