AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   HELP ! 96 Passport 3.2 v6 won't start (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=28291)

[email protected] March 27th 05 03:46 PM

HELP ! 96 Passport 3.2 v6 won't start

I get a clicking sound when I try to start my engine. Bad starter? My
father in law tried to turn the engine from the pulley with no luck.
Engine seized? Filled engine oil on a Friday, drove 60 miles. tried to
start engine on saturday and it clicked a couple of times then started.
On sunday (day 3) it took longer to start. Starter clicked several
times. After third time turning key, engine started, then we drove 60
miles back home. No performance problems on highway. Parked car in
driveway. Monday Morning vehicle would not start, just a few faint
clicks. Monday night jumped with another car and got just clicks from
the starter. Any ideas out there? STarter? Engine seized? Crappy
vehicle? By the way, to remove the starter, involves removing exaust
maifold tubing to make room. Pain in the rear for someone with basic
hand tools.

Fred March 27th 05 03:59 PM

Sounds like a battery or connection to battery issue. How old is the
battery?
Check the voltage between terminals while cranking. Should be well 9.6
volts.

There is also a recall on that model year for intermittent ignition
switch issue. Has that recall been preformed?

[email protected] March 28th 05 05:18 PM

Thanks for the input. I will check the connections and the 6 month old
battery (from Advanced Auto Parts, 3rd one replaced)

Is there any way you can elaborate on the recall or email me details?

Fred March 29th 05 01:03 AM

Here is a copy/paste from NHTSA's
page:http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfm

Make: VOLKSWAGEN
Model: PASSAT
Type: ANY
Year: 1996
Recall Number: 02V256000
SWITCH ASSEMBLY CAN FAIL CAUSING THE HEADLIGHTS AND WINDSHIELD WIPERS
TO BECOME INOPERATIVE.
Consequence:
IF SUCH FAILURES OCCUR WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN USE AT NIGHT OR IN RAINY
OR SNOWY WEATHER, A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ELECTRICAL PART OF THE IGNITION SWITCH
ASSEMBLY. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN NOVEMBER 20, 2002. OWNERS SHOULD
CONTACT VWOA AT 1-800-822-8987.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY
ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT
(1-888-327-4236).

The same electical part is also responsible for starting the engine.