AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   stock ride height (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13688)

Damjan Mozetič December 4th 04 11:53 AM

stock ride height

I was wondering what was the front stock ride height on a '72 std
beetle. Mine has 4 inches between the front fender border and tire...
too much for a stock?

Thanks,

Damjan

jjs December 4th 04 04:40 PM

"Damjan Mozetic" > wrote in message
>I was wondering what was the front stock ride height on a '72 std beetle.
>Mine has 4 inches between the front fender border and tire... too much for
>a stock?

Lucky you! I just measured my pristine '72 Standard and it is exactly 4".
I've gone through the front end and it's 100% good now, so you seem to be
good to go. Yes, it looks a little high compared to some Bugs, but they may
have sagging torsion bars.

Wolfgang December 4th 04 04:46 PM

Would also depend on size (aspect ratio 70/75/80) ?) of tire. Do you have
an adjustable beam? If not I know of no way to raise it so its probably
right.

Busdriver December 4th 04 10:05 PM

I have a '70 Panel Bus, and compared to every other bus mine rides quite a
bit higher. I do have bigger tires on it (BFGoodrich All-Terrain Baja
Champion 27X8.5 14R). This high clearance is great for driving on bad
dirt roads in BAJA or the mountains. Just wondering what can the
difference be, tires yes but not that much, about 16" behind front wheel
measured to the bottom of the cargobay and 16.5" infornt of the rear
wheel. Other buses I measured were about 12"
The bus handles awesome in curves and on bumpy roads.
Thanks