AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Broken Antenna (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74183)

Terry Taylor September 8th 06 06:52 PM

Broken Antenna

I have a broken antenna on my 96 Jetta.
I have been told I have to remove the fender to replace it.
Is this true? I have already tried the "Pep Boys" fix with an aftermarket
and it just doesn't work worth a darn. (fading reception in and out).

Any help is appreciated.
Terry
terry at Neighbors Enterprises dot com

Terry Taylor September 8th 06 09:36 PM

Broken Antenna

Hmmm, I'll give that a try this weekend. Thanks.

IR September 9th 06 12:23 AM

Broken Antenna

Peter Parker September 10th 06 01:38 PM

Broken Antenna

You could also do this. Remove the fender antenna. Fill hole with a cap for
now or do a DIY body repair. Next, lower the back headliner enough to drill
a hole with the right sized antenna hole drill bit in the back of roof. Get
a roof antenna and fish the wire to the front. The plus of a roof antenna
is that you can easily replace the whip after it cracks and gets old. It's
also easier to work on IMO.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...

IR September 12th 06 12:50 PM

Broken Antenna

I just replaced the antenna again on my 1990 with another
generic antenna. This time instead of one with "rails" on
the bottom I found one with a round retainer ring. Seems
to work a lot better.

I gave up on fishing the coax through this time though...
I just spliced new into old. Hopefully the most maintainance
it will need is resplicing...works great right now.