AutoBanter

-   Saturn (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Drug users targeting Saturns (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=12666)

Skid July 13th 04 01:22 AM

Drug users targeting Saturns

http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/in...70904n_saturns

richard hornsby July 13th 04 01:45 AM

Skid wrote:
> http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/in...70904n_saturns

"...the automaker made a number of changes to the car in 1995 including
implementing a feature that disables the vehicle's fuel supply if it is
started without a key."

On my 98SL2, it seems to disable the starter if the keyless entry was
used to lock the car. Does it also disable the fuel pump? Or is that
something independent of the keyless entry system?

-rj
98SL2

Oppie July 13th 04 02:18 AM

The L300 has something in the security system which locks out the starter
and disables the fuel system as I recall.

Unlike cars of old where everything was pretty much intuitive, I have read
the owner's manual three times and keep picking out things I missed.
Oppie

_________________

Robert Hancock July 13th 04 05:10 AM

Newer Saturns and many other GM cars use a PASSlock security system. The
ignition cylinder is designed to send a coded resistance signal to the BCM
only if it is turned with a valid key. When the BCM receives the proper
resistance signal at the correct time, it sends a password to the PCM which
enables fuel delivery. If the BCM does not send the password, or sends
another message indicating tampering, the PCM disables all fuel delivery -
therefore the engine will not start or will start but stall immediately.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

richard hornsby July 13th 04 05:27 AM

Robert Hancock wrote:
> Newer Saturns and many other GM cars use a PASSlock security system. The
> ignition cylinder is designed to send a coded resistance signal to the BCM
> only if it is turned with a valid key. When the BCM receives the proper
> resistance signal at the correct time, it sends a password to the PCM which
> enables fuel delivery. If the BCM does not send the password, or sends
> another message indicating tampering, the PCM disables all fuel delivery -
> therefore the engine will not start or will start but stall immediately.

Sorry, what is "BCM"?

Are you referring to the keys with the built-in chip which is read by a
sensor in the key cylinder? I've seen those - the keys which have them
are obvious, but my 98 certainly doesn't have one.

-rj
98SL2

uknewwho July 13th 04 01:30 PM

BCM = Body Control Module

Blah blah July 13th 04 03:45 PM

In article <JgJIc.2675$od7.1762@pd7tw3no>,
says...
> Newer Saturns and many other GM cars use a PASSlock security system. The
> ignition cylinder is designed to send a coded resistance signal to the BCM
> only if it is turned with a valid key. When the BCM receives the proper
> resistance signal at the correct time, it sends a password to the PCM which
> enables fuel delivery. If the BCM does not send the password, or sends
> another message indicating tampering, the PCM disables all fuel delivery -
> therefore the engine will not start or will start but stall immediately.

Actually I think theres a 3min delay before it cuts off the fuel pump.
Otherwise any jostling of a worn out key on a bumpy road might make your
car spit and sputter. Last thing I want to do is diagnose something like
that.

Philip Nasadowski July 13th 04 08:35 PM

In article <%uQIc.49207$Lh.1870@okepread01>,
"uknewwho" > wrote:

> BCM = Body Control Module

That sounds so kinky in a techie way ;)

Robert Hancock July 14th 04 12:07 AM

This is only checked on startup.

Robert Hancock July 14th 04 12:09 AM

No, there are some GM vehicles that do have a chip in the key (I forget what
that system is called, PASSkey III?) and some older GM vehicles used a
PASSkey system where the key itself had a resistor on it, but the PASSlock
system on Saturns and most other less expensive GM vehicles is all inside
the lock cylinder, the key itself is not special.