AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   147 and engine undershield question. (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=502)

Paul Woodsford October 16th 04 11:21 AM

147 and engine undershield question.

I might have a problem with Alfa warranty relating to a foreign body
damaging the bottom of the Cambelt cover leading to the cambelt failing at
12000 miles.
Originally the 147 had a shield across the bottom of the engine compartment.
My 147 registered in Nov 2003 never had one.
Can anyone, who registered a 147 1.6TS from Nov 2003 onwards let me know if
their car has such a shield, and where it was registered?

"I have seen the engine and belt.
Belt split lengthways and 1 half then split across. That was the noise I
heard. Then 5 of the teeth were stripped on the remaining half belt. There
is a hole in the bottom of the cambelt cover, but nothing within the cambelt
cover when removed.

I might be lucky. They intend to put a belt on and check compressions before
stripping head."

--
Paul.Woodsford
Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.

---

[email protected] October 17th 04 10:00 PM

"Paul Woodsford" > wrote in message >...
> I might have a problem with Alfa warranty relating to a foreign body
> damaging the bottom of the Cambelt cover leading to the cambelt failing at
> 12000 miles.
> Originally the 147 had a shield across the bottom of the engine compartment.
> My 147 registered in Nov 2003 never had one.
> Can anyone, who registered a 147 1.6TS from Nov 2003 onwards let me know if
> their car has such a shield, and where it was registered?

Hi Paul,
Sorry to hear about your trouble. If it is of any help my 147 [an
April 2002] does not have a cover as you described and I must say I
have not seen one on any other 147's, maybe I should look closer next
time. and maybe buy one for mine.

>"I have seen the engine and belt.
> Belt split lengthways and 1 half then split across. That was the noise I
> heard. Then 5 of the teeth were stripped on the remaining half belt. There
> is a hole in the bottom of the cambelt cover, but nothing within the cambelt
> cover when removed.

You may have ran over a piece of metal which could have split through
the cover then flew off again.

> I might be lucky. They intend to put a belt on and check compressions before
> stripping head."
>
> Sometimes if you are lucky and stop the engine quickly you can get away with

it as I did with a Golf I owned a few years back. But a lot of
drivers, when the engine stops, try to turn the engine over with the
starter and they bend the valves. I do hope your luck holds out, let
us know how you get on. John,UK.