AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Steering Stabilzier - dual vs single shock? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=34026)

swbell May 30th 05 01:10 AM

Steering Stabilzier - dual vs single shock?

Any reason to get a dual shock model? They appear to be almost double the
price. I'm planning on 33", but probably nothing bigger that 35" tires.

Paul

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III May 30th 05 01:42 AM

Hi Paul,
Only if you have to keep replacing your steering boxes, or do any
serious high speed driving over rough roads, like those in Mexico:
http://www.race-dezert.com/motion/unsorted/tt66b.mpg Or just want to
look like the big boys: http://www.billhughes.com/tjLeafFront.gif
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Thom May 30th 05 05:40 PM

I was looking for one a while ago. The people around me told that the
problem with most dual shock systems is that it's one shock mounted above
the other. This means it wil be lower to the ground than a one shock setup
and not nicely tucked away between axle and tie-rod. The lower shock would
break down quickly from impact & dragging in the mud.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III May 30th 05 07:20 PM

There are cazillion ways to mount that shock absorber, of which the
stock TJ's probably the least effective. Remember if it is installed in
a low position it's outside is merely a reservoir and until it is beaten
enough to leak will have no effect on it ability to absorb punishment:
http://www.bds-suspension.com/pdfs/55353.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

RoyJ May 31st 05 01:55 AM

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

> There are cazillion ways to mount that shock absorber, of which the
> stock TJ's probably the least effective. Remember if it is installed in
> a low position it's outside is merely a reservoir and until it is beaten

Perhaps you could enlighten us on that last statement?? Why would a
horizontal lower one not work as well as a horizontal upper one?

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III May 31st 05 02:37 AM

I didn't say the lower one wouldn't work as well. Ideally that's
where you want the dampener to be parallel to, and mounted to the tie
rod: http://www.billhughes.com/dampenerShocks.pdf that way it dampens
both tires evenly. But it's going to hit down below the tie rod, a fact
that doesn't bother the off-road racer. TJ's brite idea is to just
dampen the steering box, it's got to go though three tie rod ends to
stop the deflecting action of the left tire bouncing off a rock:
http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Buildu..._stabilzer.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Jerry Bransford May 31st 05 04:40 PM

Dual shock stabilizers aren't needed for 35", even up to around 37".
Besides, they double the workload for the power steering pump which on a
tight twisty trail with the extra work for the power steering pump,
could cause the PS fluid to boil over.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford