AutoBanter

-   Dodge (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   97 Caravan Instrument Panel (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=4226)

Tom Donnelly June 28th 04 02:36 AM

97 Caravan Instrument Panel

1997 Caravan, and occasionally, the guages on the instrument panel won't
register, the electronic odometer and transmission selector is not lit, but
the ABS light comes on. Restarting the van a few times may fix it or it may
fix itself while driving. When the guages start registering again, the ABS
light goes out.
Any ideas?

Circuit Breaker June 29th 04 01:25 PM

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:36:44 -0400, Tom Donnelly wrote:

> 1997 Caravan, and occasionally, the guages on the instrument panel won't
> register, the electronic odometer and transmission selector is not lit, but
> the ABS light comes on. Restarting the van a few times may fix it or it may
> fix itself while driving. When the guages start registering again, the ABS
> light goes out.
> Any ideas?

Bad ground / bad (loose) connection, obviously something that would affect
the entire cluster. The ABS light comes on probably because some sensor
that is somehow related to the cluster is not getting the signal that ABS
is on, so it "thinks" that ABS is off (or, if ABS depends on some signal
that goes through the cluster (why, I don't know), then ABS may very well
BE off).

If I had a gambling problem, I'd put money on a faulty connection/ground.

The fix? Reseat fuses, get behind the cluster and reseat all connections,
check all ground straps, etc etc etc etc etc.

HIH
CJ
--
THIS POST ORIGINATED FROM USENET, *NOT* ANY WEB-BASED FORUM! IF YOU ARE READING
IT FROM A WEB BROWSER SUCH AS INTERNET EXPLORER OR NETSCAPE, THEN YOU ARE NOT

Circuit Breaker June 29th 04 01:25 PM

[email protected] July 1st 04 04:14 PM

>>On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Tom Donnelly wrote:
> 1997 Caravan, and occasionally, the guages on the instrument panel won't
> register, the electronic odometer and transmission selector is not lit, but
> the ABS light comes on. Restarting the van a few times may fix it or it may
> fix itself while driving. When the guages start registering again, the ABS
> light goes out.
> Any ideas?

I think this is not uncommon with the late 90's instrument panels. More
than likely, you need to have the instrument cluster circuit board
replaced. I had the EXACT same problem with my '96 Dodge Stratus and had
the circuit board replaced by my local wrench.

--
leosity [at] gapout [dot] com

[email protected] July 1st 04 04:14 PM

seabringlx2003 July 3rd 04 02:12 AM

instrument panel is shot, there a bitch to change

seabringlx2003 July 3rd 04 02:12 AM

instrument panel is shot, there a bitch to change

SKHCWARREN September 28th 04 05:04 PM

I am having the same problems with my 99 grand caravan se. What have you
done to resolve the problem with your 97 caravan?

SKHCWARREN September 28th 04 05:04 PM