AutoBanter

-   Antique cars (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1986 Volvo - Information Please (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=7539)

Frank starr June 28th 04 02:24 AM

1986 Volvo - Information Please

There's someone in my area selling a 1986 Volvo Turbo Diesel for
$1295. The dashboard needs some "cosmetic work", and the a/c may only
need new freon. The fellow tells me that once he got a conversion van
for his wife they "laid it aside", but he says it's still a good car.
My mechanic, who doesn't do diesels, says they are expensive to
repair, and mostly have to be taken to dealers for repair work. Anyone
have different opionions or experience?

Ted Azito June 30th 04 03:43 AM

(Frank starr) wrote in message . com>...
> There's someone in my area selling a 1986 Volvo Turbo Diesel for
> $1295. The dashboard needs some "cosmetic work", and the a/c may only
> need new freon. The fellow tells me that once he got a conversion van
> for his wife they "laid it aside", but he says it's still a good car.
> My mechanic, who doesn't do diesels, says they are expensive to
> repair, and mostly have to be taken to dealers for repair work. Anyone
> have different opionions or experience?

These cars had very poor engine life as the engine would lose
compression at arounf 100,000 miles. This was a six cylinder version
of the famous VW inline four in Rabbits. The Rabbits' diesels were
very reliable.

Almost all Diesel Volvos were converted-several swaps exist- or
junked by now.

This engine is not difficult to work on-it's fully mechanical and has
a Bosch pump. Other than short cylinder life, it's a good engine and
if they had a fix (different liner and piston?) it would be very
reliable.