AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How do drivers use the 6th gear in a manual? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=17901)

[email protected] December 16th 04 02:42 PM

How do drivers use the 6th gear in a manual?

This may be a naive question, but please bear with me.

I have driven 5 speed transmissions for most of my life and am now
upgrading to a great vehicle with a 6 speed.

I wonder if other stick shift lovers out there can tell me when and how
they like to use the 6th gear? Is there more to it than when you're in
cruise control on an interstate?

ray December 16th 04 05:55 PM

wrote:
> This may be a naive question, but please bear with me.
>
> I have driven 5 speed transmissions for most of my life and am now
> upgrading to a great vehicle with a 6 speed.
>
> I wonder if other stick shift lovers out there can tell me when and how
> they like to use the 6th gear? Is there more to it than when you're in
> cruise control on an interstate?

Well, you use it much like you would the first 5 gears.
:)

Seriously.

In my Trans Am, 6th is pretty much a highway only gear. It allows for
about 1100 rpm at 60 mph and decent fuel economy on the highway. It
allowed GM to put in a half decent ratio (notice I didn't say the actual
gears - they're junk) of 3.42 for wicked acceleration. In fact on the
stock tires I would launch at only 1700 rpm at the strip unless I wanted
to smoke the tires for 200 feet.

Anyway, 6th is just another gear.

Ray

Richard December 16th 04 08:12 PM

Do you have to shift sooner in the lower gears?

Richard

TCS December 16th 04 10:08 PM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:12:39 GMT, Richard > wrote:
>Do you have to shift sooner in the lower gears?

It's the same as a five speed versus a four speed.

The top gear might have a higher ratio or it might not. It's entirely
up to the particular implementation.

Anthony December 17th 04 03:06 AM

TCS > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:12:39 GMT, Richard > wrote:
>>Do you have to shift sooner in the lower gears?

> It's the same as a five speed versus a four speed.
>
> The top gear might have a higher ratio or it might not. It's entirely
> up to the particular implementation.

The Tremec (formerly Borg-Warner) T56 six speed generally has a 0.74 5th
and a 0.50 6th ratio, so both are overdrive.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Don Bruder December 17th 04 04:30 AM

In article >,
Anthony > wrote:

> TCS > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:12:39 GMT, Richard > wrote:
> >>Do you have to shift sooner in the lower gears?

> > It's the same as a five speed versus a four speed.
> >
> > The top gear might have a higher ratio or it might not. It's entirely
> > up to the particular implementation.
> >

> The Tremec (formerly Borg-Warner) T56 six speed generally has a 0.74 5th
> and a 0.50 6th ratio, so both are overdrive.

Wheeeee!

Will it bolt up to the 2.0 liter inline 4 engine in an '82 Mazda 626? :)

(Yeah. Sure it will. When pigs sprout wings...)

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.

TCS December 17th 04 06:35 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 03:30:23 GMT, Don Bruder > wrote:
>In article >,
> Anthony > wrote:

>> TCS > wrote in
>> :

>> > It's the same as a five speed versus a four speed.
>> >
>> > The top gear might have a higher ratio or it might not. It's entirely
>> > up to the particular implementation.
>> >

>> The Tremec (formerly Borg-Warner) T56 six speed generally has a 0.74 5th
>> and a 0.50 6th ratio, so both are overdrive.

>Wheeeee!

>Will it bolt up to the 2.0 liter inline 4 engine in an '82 Mazda 626? :)

With that engine, you'd only be able to use 6th gear on a 10% decline.
Otherwise, it'd be like using 4th gear at 10mph.

Don Bruder December 17th 04 07:56 AM

In article
TCS > wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 03:30:23 GMT, Don Bruder > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > Anthony > wrote:

> >> TCS > wrote in
> >> :

> >> The Tremec (formerly Borg-Warner) T56 six speed generally has a 0.74 5th
> >> and a 0.50 6th ratio, so both are overdrive.

> >Wheeeee!

> >Will it bolt up to the 2.0 liter inline 4 engine in an '82 Mazda 626? :)

> With that engine, you'd only be able to use 6th gear on a 10% decline.
> Otherwise, it'd be like using 4th gear at 10mph.

Awww, shaddup and quit spoiling a perfectly good fantasy! :)

(What? You actually think even if it WOULD bolt in, I didn't already
know it'd be just about as useful as tits on a boar hog?)

Ulf December 17th 04 05:15 PM

:

>>>Wheeeee!

>>>Will it bolt up to the 2.0 liter inline 4 engine in an '82 Mazda 626? :)

>>With that engine, you'd only be able to use 6th gear on a 10% decline.
>>Otherwise, it'd be like using 4th gear at 10mph.

> Awww, shaddup and quit spoiling a perfectly good fantasy! :)
>
> (What? You actually think even if it WOULD bolt in, I didn't already
> know it'd be just about as useful as tits on a boar hog?)

Considering I have no problems accelerating up inclines in 6th gear in
my Camaro it can't be that bad. Besides, you can always change the rear
end ratio, at least in a RWD car...

Ulf

TCS December 17th 04 05:24 PM

:

>>>With that engine, you'd only be able to use 6th gear on a 10% decline.
>>>Otherwise, it'd be like using 4th gear at 10mph.

>> Awww, shaddup and quit spoiling a perfectly good fantasy! :)
>>
>> (What? You actually think even if it WOULD bolt in, I didn't already
>> know it'd be just about as useful as tits on a boar hog?)

>Considering I have no problems accelerating up inclines in 6th gear in
>my Camaro it can't be that bad. Besides, you can always change the rear
>end ratio, at least in a RWD car...

Take your camero, pull the spark plugs off two cylinders and retard the
timing 20 degrees and you might have a power/weight ratio like the mazda.