AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Five cylinder NB (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38368)

Joseph Meehan July 16th 05 03:03 PM

Five cylinder NB

I am likely the last one to learn this, but it appears the Jetta and NB
will have a standard 150 HP 5 cylinder engine next year and drop out the
turbo four.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Woodchuck July 16th 05 05:27 PM

I don't see how the NB can fit the 5 cylinder. But then again anything's
possible with VW's wisdom.

. ..

Homer July 16th 05 08:52 PM

"Woodchuck" > wrote in message
.. .
>I don't see how the NB can fit the 5 cylinder. But then again anything's
>possible with VW's wisdom.

They made 3.2L V6 Beetles so I don't see why the V5 wouldn't fit.

Joseph Meehan July 17th 05 01:56 AM

Homer wrote:
> "Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>I don't see how the NB can fit the 5 cylinder. But then again
>>anything's possible with VW's wisdom.

> They made 3.2L V6 Beetles so I don't see why the V5 wouldn't fit.

V-5 Is there any such thing as an odd number V???

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Homer July 17th 05 02:23 AM

"Johann Koenig" > wrote in message
> On Sunday July 17 at 12:56am
> Honda's RC211V (I think thats right) is a V-5 motorcycle. I believe it
> was made to contend in MotoGP, the land of 200+hp, 200+mph, 2 stroke,
> 500cc superbikes.

Mostly right, asfaik the current rules allow 500cc 2 strike or 990cc 4
stroke, currently every manufacturer is running 990cc 4 stroke bikes.

Woodchuck July 17th 05 03:15 AM

Not here in the USA anyways. Got any pictures?

Matt B. July 17th 05 05:19 AM

"Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
. ..
> Homer wrote:
>> "Woodchuck" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>I don't see how the NB can fit the 5 cylinder. But then again
>>>anything's possible with VW's wisdom.

>> They made 3.2L V6 Beetles so I don't see why the V5 wouldn't fit.

> V-5 Is there any such thing as an odd number V???

Sort of. VW had the VR5 in a few euro-spec A4 cars (Golf, Bora). It was a
2.3L unit (basically the 2.8 VR6 less one cylinder).

Matt B. July 17th 05 05:19 AM

"Homer" > wrote in message
> "Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>I don't see how the NB can fit the 5 cylinder. But then again anything's
>>possible with VW's wisdom.

> They made 3.2L V6 Beetles so I don't see why the V5 wouldn't fit.

The 5 in the Jetta and NB is not a 'V'. it's an inline 5.

Matt B. July 17th 05 05:22 AM

"Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> Not here in the USA anyways. Got any pictures?
>
> "Homer" > wrote in message
>> "Woodchuck" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>I don't see how the NB can fit the 5 cylinder. But then again anything's
>>>possible with VW's wisdom.

>> They made 3.2L V6 Beetles so I don't see why the V5 wouldn't fit.

the only 3.2L VR6 NBs i've heard of were the Beetle RSi which was some sort
of concept but was never sold that I know of. VW had them running around at
driversfest 2000 in Anaheim back in the summer of '00.

Harry July 17th 05 05:56 AM

"Matt B." > wrote

> The 5 in the Jetta and NB is not a 'V'. it's an inline 5.

Not to say it is the same size, but VW has had an inline 5 as way back as
1985 (?) in the Quantum and Quantum Syncro, sedan and wagon.

Harry