AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   '65 Chrysler trans fluid (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=70130)

ThaDriver July 19th 06 02:56 AM

'65 Chrysler trans fluid

Ok you Chrysler gurus: I need to KNOW what kind of trans fluid a '65 should
use. Two different parts stores have told me two different types. They're
the only ones that *thought* they knew; no one else would even guess. Do
any of you *know* what kind it takes? 383 - 727
TIA,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

[email protected] July 19th 06 04:30 PM

'65 Chrysler trans fluid

ThaDriver wrote:
> Ok you Chrysler gurus: I need to KNOW what kind of trans fluid a '65 should
> use. Two different parts stores have told me two different types. They're
> the only ones that *thought* they knew; no one else would even guess. Do
> any of you *know* what kind it takes? 383 - 727
> TIA,
> ~ Paul
> aka "Tha Driver"

Back in those days, things were much simpler. There was type *F* for
Fords and dexron for just about everything else. I would think that
dexron 3 or better would work just fine.

I don't know what putting ATF3+/7176 would do or not do for an older
transmission. You may wish to check on allpar.com in the transmission
section.

-KM

John Kunkel July 19th 06 07:30 PM

'65 Chrysler trans fluid

"ThaDriver" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Ok you Chrysler gurus: I need to KNOW what kind of trans fluid a '65
> should
> use. Two different parts stores have told me two different types. They're
> the only ones that *thought* they knew; no one else would even guess. Do
> any of you *know* what kind it takes? 383 - 727

Dexron would be the original factory recommended fluid but ATF+3 is also
suitable. If slightly firmer shifting is desired type F can also be used.

ThaDriver July 19th 06 08:56 PM

'65 Chrysler trans fluid

Thanks guys. I haven't been working with older Mopars for a long time
(although I'm a *large* fan) so I couldn't think of the best place to
look. Turns out it was here. :-)
Visited Allpar & got the info (confirmation) I needed: "Use Dexron II or
III fluid. In 1962 Chrysler suggested using Type A, Suffix A fluid, but
that fluid has been superceded by Dexron II and III.". Took awhile to find
it...
Thanks again,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

I checked today and... this is the oldest I've ever been.

Steve[_1_] July 24th 06 09:54 PM

'65 Chrysler trans fluid

wrote:

> ThaDriver wrote:
>
>>Ok you Chrysler gurus: I need to KNOW what kind of trans fluid a '65 should
>>use. Two different parts stores have told me two different types. They're
>>the only ones that *thought* they knew; no one else would even guess. Do
>>any of you *know* what kind it takes? 383 - 727
>>TIA,
>>~ Paul
>>aka "Tha Driver"

> Back in those days, things were much simpler. There was type *F* for
> Fords and dexron for just about everything else. I would think that
> dexron 3 or better would work just fine.

Yep, the fluids commonly sold that meet both the DexronIII and Mercon
spec work just fine in those transmisisons.

> I don't know what putting ATF3+/7176 would do or not do for an older
> transmission.

It works perfectly. ATF+3 and +4 are fully backward-compatible with all
the Dexron family of fluids, dating all the way back to the pre-Dexron
"Type A." But its wasted money in a transmission that's perfectly happy
on Dexron/Mercon, and ATF+3 is actually inferior in those cases because
it has such poor oxidation characteristics. +4 fixed the oxidation
problems that +3 had.

Count Floyd July 25th 06 01:43 AM

'65 Chrysler trans fluid

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:54:37 UTC, Steve > wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > ThaDriver wrote:
> >
> >>Ok you Chrysler gurus: I need to KNOW what kind of trans fluid a '65 should
> >>use. Two different parts stores have told me two different types. They're
> >>the only ones that *thought* they knew; no one else would even guess. Do
> >>any of you *know* what kind it takes? 383 - 727
> >>TIA,
> >>~ Paul
> >>aka "Tha Driver"

> > Back in those days, things were much simpler. There was type *F* for
> > Fords and dexron for just about everything else. I would think that
> > dexron 3 or better would work just fine.

> Yep, the fluids commonly sold that meet both the DexronIII and Mercon
> spec work just fine in those transmisisons.
> >
> > I don't know what putting ATF3+/7176 would do or not do for an older
> > transmission.

> It works perfectly. ATF+3 and +4 are fully backward-compatible with all
> the Dexron family of fluids, dating all the way back to the pre-Dexron
> "Type A."

Is it backward compatible with my 1940 FluidDrive?

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Steve[_1_] July 25th 06 08:18 PM

'65 Chrysler trans fluid

Count Floyd wrote:

>>It works perfectly. ATF+3 and +4 are fully backward-compatible with all
>>the Dexron family of fluids, dating all the way back to the pre-Dexron
>>"Type A."

> Is it backward compatible with my 1940 FluidDrive?

IIRC, Chrysler "fluid drives" used engine oil, not a separate
transmission fluid.

But if I recall wrong and they used Type A fluid, then in theory it
would be compatible. But I wouldn't do it- a) its a big waste of money,
and b) I'd be a little concerned about the effect the added friction
modifiers might have.