AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cracked head question (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72230)

Phatman[_1_] August 13th 06 07:33 PM

Cracked head question

Just removed the head from an engine I was going to put in my bug only
to find one head has a hairline crack! The crack is between the valves
on #2 cylinder. Am I right in thinking I should replace it? e.g will the
valve seats eventually loosen? I'm annoyed because the head isn't very
old judging from its condition and the engine was running fine when last
used about two years ago.

-Steve

[email protected][_1_] August 14th 06 01:19 PM

Cracked head question

Phatman wrote:
> Just removed the head from an engine I was going to put in my bug only
> to find one head has a hairline crack! The crack is between the valves
> on #2 cylinder. Am I right in thinking I should replace it? e.g will the
> valve seats eventually loosen? I'm annoyed because the head isn't very
> old judging from its condition and the engine was running fine when last
> used about two years ago.
>
> -Steve

Now that you have it off it would be a good time to replace it. Its not
that it wouldn't run that way , and I'm sure that there are alot of T1
engines that have been running fine with hairline cracks between the
valve seat for years. Because you have your engine apart it would be
better to replace it now and not worry about it.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto