AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Midengine - reversing the tranny (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14000)

jjs January 15th 05 07:48 PM

Midengine - reversing the tranny

Does it weaken the tranny to convert it to work with a midengine?

dave AKA vwdoc1 January 15th 05 09:05 PM

The Porsche 914 (especially the 914-6) trans is not that weak AFAIK. ;-)

jjs January 15th 05 10:58 PM

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
m...
> The Porsche 914 (especially the 914-6) trans is not that weak AFAIK. ;-)

Good point, but I am hoping to use an ACVW tranny I already have.

Jan Andersson January 16th 05 11:00 AM

jjs wrote:

> Does it weaken the tranny to convert it to work with a midengine?

The tranny still operates the normal way. Only the rear differential
parts are flipped over, and they too would continue to turn the same
direction as before tooth for tooth....... so my answer would be no.

Jan

cloud8 January 16th 05 09:13 PM

"jjs" > wrote in :

> Good point, but I am hoping to use an ACVW tranny I already have.

The shift linkage is going to be interesting. How you gonna do that?

--
Bill Merrill
Arlington, Mass.

jjs January 16th 05 09:35 PM

"cloud8" > wrote in message
. ..

> The shift linkage is going to be interesting. How you gonna do that?

Hey, I lived in England before coming here. I can cope with anything!

John Cassara January 16th 05 09:49 PM

The shift is easy. There are linkages made for mid engine sand rails. Just
got strap one one!

Shag January 17th 05 02:11 AM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:49:21 -0500, "John Cassara"
> wrote:

>The shift is easy. There are linkages made for mid engine sand rails. Just
>got strap one one!

I'm guessing you mean "strap one on." I was gonna joke around about
JJs being "this close" to going the baja route, but I'm having trouble
persuing that line of thought now after someone told him to "strap one
on." *cough*

---

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
-"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live!

ilambert January 17th 05 03:55 AM

Flip Flopping the Ring gear has been done on Formula Vee racers for eones
and I've never heard of dire consequences even when we ran them on
ATF.Likewise the shift linkages.
. ..

jjs January 17th 05 04:07 AM

"ilambert" > wrote in message
> Flip Flopping the Ring gear has been done on Formula Vee racers for eones
> and I've never heard of dire consequences even when we ran them on

The V racers I know have wimpy little engines. Not much of a challenge to
the tranny. Or is there a class that uses something other than the tiny old
engines?