AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   engine stalls when hard braking (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73930)

[email protected] September 5th 06 08:08 PM

engine stalls when hard braking

this pertains to a 1996 ford ESCORT LX sw, w/ at, ac, 230000 miles:
recently during the last few months whenever i'm travelling at between
20 and 40 mph and i've had to brake very suddenly and very hard, the
engine stalls as soon as the car comes to complete stop. never used to
do that before. engine starts up w/o any difficulty afterwards. a/c
is NOT on when this happens. engine does NOT do this when i brake
normally, i.e., non-panic stop.
any ideas on what's causing this and what components to check? any
advice would be greatly appreciated .....
tia.

ed[_1_] September 5th 06 10:38 PM

engine stalls when hard braking

water in the gas maybe? or low gas?
ups.com...

[email protected] September 5th 06 11:03 PM

wrote:

> any ideas on what's causing this and what components to check?

Check the engine, check the brakes! Hard to say more than that without
seeing it.

Could be fuel surge in the tank side, but that won't kill the engine
_immediately_.

Could be wobbly electrics. Does hitting it cause it to stop ? What
about driving in reverse then braking ?

If you want obscure, then check for a punctured brake servo diaphram.

jeffcoslacker[_88_] September 5th 06 11:38 PM

engine stalls when hard braking

Make sure a worn out and mis-sensing oil pressure sender isn't
overreacting to the oil slosh in the pan and cutting the engine
off...and also you have an inertia switch that cuts the fuel pump in
the event of a wreck...sometimes they will get "half tripped" like a
circuit breaker in your house, and cause momentary fuel cut-out, but
normally they will react to hitting bumps and stuff also when that
occurs...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

TomO[_1_] September 5th 06 11:55 PM

wrote:
> this pertains to a 1996 ford ESCORT LX sw, w/ at, ac, 230000 miles:
> recently during the last few months whenever i'm travelling at between
> 20 and 40 mph and i've had to brake very suddenly and very hard, the
> engine stalls as soon as the car comes to complete stop. never used to
> do that before. engine starts up w/o any difficulty afterwards. a/c
> is NOT on when this happens. engine does NOT do this when i brake
> normally, i.e., non-panic stop.
> any ideas on what's causing this and what components to check? any
> advice would be greatly appreciated .....
> tia.

You forgot to step on the clutch pedal?

187 September 6th 06 04:09 AM

engine stalls when hard braking

check for a bad brake booster.
it could cause a bad enough vaccum leak to cut the engine off. try pumping
the brakes while sitting still, and see if u can hear a hissing noise
coming from the front of the floor.

Paul Hovnanian P.E. September 7th 06 04:13 AM

wrote:

> this pertains to a 1996 ford ESCORT LX sw, w/ at, ac, 230000 miles:
> recently during the last few months whenever i'm travelling at between
> 20 and 40 mph and i've had to brake very suddenly and very hard, the
> engine stalls as soon as the car comes to complete stop. never used to
> do that before. engine starts up w/o any difficulty afterwards. a/c
> is NOT on when this happens. engine does NOT do this when i brake
> normally, i.e., non-panic stop.
> any ideas on what's causing this and what components to check? any
> advice would be greatly appreciated .....
> tia.

Does that have a carburetor? If so, your float might be starting to sink
and the combination of that and the hard stop is throwing the mixture
off.

Otherwise, check for loose wiring or vacuum hoses.

Does your AT have a torque converter lockup? Its possible that it isn't
disengaging fast enough and a quick stop is lugging the engine down
before it unlocks.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Don't upset me! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

[email protected] September 7th 06 02:43 PM

===== 1996 ,,, w/ at: car has automatic transmission