AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   E30 diffs, two different bolt layouts? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=25949)

John Burns March 4th 05 05:46 PM

E30 diffs, two different bolt layouts?

Just tried to replace the diff on my '90 318iS (lasted 182k, not bad)
with one from a '90 318i (didn't see the donor car in person I might
add). The bolt patterns where it connects to the subframe are different
on the new diff.

Now my parts CD only shows one design of subframe and the new diff has a
similar 4.10:1 ratio, so it's not from a 325i or anything. I'm wondeing
if it's from a 518i?

Can someone confirm that all E30 diffs have the same mounting points to
the subframe?

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

Somebody March 4th 05 09:00 PM

"John Burns" > wrote in message
> Just tried to replace the diff on my '90 318iS (lasted 182k, not bad)
> with one from a '90 318i (didn't see the donor car in person I might
> add). The bolt patterns where it connects to the subframe are different
> on the new diff.
>
> Now my parts CD only shows one design of subframe and the new diff has a
> similar 4.10:1 ratio, so it's not from a 325i or anything. I'm wondeing
> if it's from a 518i?
>
> Can someone confirm that all E30 diffs have the same mounting points to
> the subframe?

I can't confirm that for you, but i can mention that there is an outside
chance that diff came from an automatic iX, unless you can otherwise rule
that out. They were 4.10:1. In fact I didn't know there was ever a 318
with that ratio.

-Russ.