AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   98 Jetta Gl: Oil Change. (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73614)

Terrence September 1st 06 11:27 AM

98 Jetta Gl: Oil Change.

As the 3rd owner of this 98 Jetta GL, I've now feel as if I have been thru a
hazing of sorts for having changed the oil myself. The previous owner,
appears not to have changed the oil in 20,000 miles. Its a wonder that
nasty things did not happen to Jetta during this time. Anyway, I was very
very PO'd at the fact that my big hands couldnąt get a grip on the filter
and spin it off. Why? All the freaking obstacles in the way like A/C lines
from the compressor, the front frame components. Ultimately, I purchased a
filter appliance that fits on the bottom of the filter and you employ a
3/8'ths ratchet or break over bar to twist it loose. Even then, it took
some contortioning to get the ratchet into the filter wrench and make it
spin to the point where hands could do the rest. Let me guess. VW makes a
filter wrench for this purpose right?

Terrence

Mark Randol September 1st 06 01:13 PM

98 Jetta Gl: Oil Change.

In article >,
says...
> VW makes a
> filter wrench for this purpose right?

Prolly, but what I use is a band wrench with a flex joint in the handle.
The business end slips over the filter, and the joint lets the handle
bend enough to clear the frame, oil pan, etc, etc. Don't remember where
I got it, but it was probably an AutoZone, Pep Boys, NAPA, etc, etc.

Mark
'95 Jetta GLS

IR September 2nd 06 12:16 AM

98 Jetta Gl: Oil Change.

I usually use my bare hands or a knobby glove and reach through from the
top, but it's way easier from the bottom on my 98GL. Course my hands
aren't that big...

Terrence September 2nd 06 11:54 AM

98 Jetta Gl: Oil Change.

I tried laying down and work on spinning the filter off from the bottom, but
again I was foiled by ground clearance issues. After struggling a bit with
being a contortionist, I dealt with spinning the old filter off and
reinstalling the new one from the top. Seems like a band type of filter
wrench that accepts a 12" extension and a 3/8'ths ratchet would have made
life easier.

Terrence

On 9/1/06 3:16 PM, in article , "IR"

Peter Parker September 3rd 06 03:03 PM

98 Jetta Gl: Oil Change.

The bottom is way easier. The car should be up high enough to work on.
Rhino ramps are okay but you can ramp up the ramps to get more height.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...