AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How easily should rear axels spin?? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38951)

gary July 24th 05 05:17 AM

How easily should rear axels spin??

2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels and drums to
have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both sides there is
friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not continue spinning
if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should I
replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle.

Thanks
Gary

Matt Whiting July 24th 05 01:38 PM

gary wrote:

> 2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels and drums to
> have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both sides there is
> friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not continue spinning
> if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should I
> replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle.
>
> Thanks
> Gary

It is normal. As long as there is no play and the bearings aren't
noisy, you are fine.

Matt

Matt Whiting July 24th 05 01:39 PM

Sarge wrote:

> "gary" wrote: "2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels
> and drums to have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both
> sides there is friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not
> continue spinning
> if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should I
> replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle."
>
> Won't hurt.
>
> Sarge

It'll hurt your wallet replacing things that don't need to be replaced.

Matt

N8N July 24th 05 02:05 PM

gary wrote:
> 2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels and drums to
> have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both sides there is
> friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not continue spinning
> if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should I
> replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle.
>
> Thanks
> Gary

Probably wouldn't hurt to re*pack* the bearings but unless they look
bad no need to replace them. The friction is probably from the brakes
dragging anyway which is normal.

nate

« Paul » July 24th 05 04:21 PM

gary wrote:

> 2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels and drums to
> have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both sides there is
> friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not continue spinning
> if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should I
> replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle.
>
> Thanks
> Gary

The bearings are packed with grease. The hubs by themselves won't spin
because of the grease. Not enough mass.

gary July 24th 05 09:11 PM

"N8N" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> gary wrote:
>> 2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels and drums
>> have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both sides there is
>> friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not continue
>> spinning
>> if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should
>> replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gary

> Probably wouldn't hurt to re*pack* the bearings but unless they look
> bad no need to replace them. the friction is probably from the brakes
> dragging anyway which is normal.
>
> nate

How would the brakes affect them if the drums are off?

gary July 24th 05 09:12 PM

No play there, no noise, thanks for the info.

Gary

gary July 24th 05 09:12 PM

That is what it feels like. They spin easier with the tires on. Thx

Gary

"« Paul »" <"=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul