AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Idle problems on my 85 GTI (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=22156)

Petey January 24th 05 09:27 PM

Idle problems on my 85 GTI

I just bought an 85 GTI on saturday. While driving home 80 miles
whenever I stopped or idled the car the idle speed was at 2000 rpm.
Yesterday the same thing even at a cold start. This morning when I got
in the car and drove in stop and go traffic the idle was right at 950
rpms. The rpms did surge up and down a little but not enough to cause
alarm. What could cause my idle problem? Is there a vaccume leak?
Any suggestions are welcome.

Lee January 24th 05 09:38 PM

Sounds like a vaccume leak , check the aux air vavle and the hose connected
to it...
also check your aux air vale wire, make sure power is coming from there..
you can also squeez the hose for it and see if it drops.

-Lee

oups.com...

Tom's VR6 January 25th 05 12:57 AM

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Petey wrote:

>I just bought an 85 GTI on saturday. While driving home 80 miles
>whenever I stopped or idled the car the idle speed was at 2000 rpm.
>Yesterday the same thing even at a cold start. This morning when I got
>in the car and drove in stop and go traffic the idle was right at 950
>rpms. The rpms did surge up and down a little but not enough to cause
>alarm. What could cause my idle problem? Is there a vaccume leak?
>Any suggestions are welcome.

See if there is a voltage between the negative terminal of the
battery and the engine block. A bad ground can do strange things.

[email protected] January 26th 05 06:40 AM

I've had this problem with 2 of my VWs in the past. More than likely
it is as simple as on my cars. More than likely one of the butterflys
on the Throttle body is not closing all the way. Next time you drive
around and it's idling at 2000rpm pop the hood and just push a little
on linkages towards the closed postion. More than likely the RPM will
drop if you push it closed a little. You can't tell just by looking.
If that's the problem try cleaning them up with some Carb Cleaner. If
that don't work just get a new T-Body off of another car.