AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Problem with power steering? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=61532)

Seminephrious April 5th 06 08:05 AM

Problem with power steering?

I have a 2000 Passat V6. It steers fine while in motion. When
stationary it makes noise when I turn the wheel either direction like
it is low on power steering fluid. However, the power steering
reservoir is full. Any thoughts?

WTYM...

--
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional!

(replace "tubules" with "ev1" for email)

stim141 April 8th 06 10:28 PM

Problem with power steering?

How many miles. Some noise is ok, but when the pump starts whining when you
don't turn the wheel thats when you will have a problem. Generally when a
pump is starting to go you may experience random power steering loss for a
few seconds. Once this happens you have a while before it goes totally out.
Next is the noise you'll hear a squeaking sound (most likely) then it will
go out. I wouldn't worry for a while - nothing you can do. The only other
thing is that your rack may be clogging up. Only fix is to replace the
fluid and see if that helps.