AutoBanter

-   Antique cars (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1949 Chevrolet 3100 Truck - How to Identify Carb (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=7308)

Steve February 1st 04 03:35 PM

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Truck - How to Identify Carb

How can I identify whether I have a Carter or a Rochester carb in my
1949 Chevy 3100? I am pretty sure it has the original 216 6 cyl. The
carb that is on the engine is a single barrel on the drivers side of
the block with the fuel bowl on the radiator side of the carb and the
linkages on the firewall side. Are there any pictures online showing
the differences? Which manfuacturer did Chevy use as original
equipment?

I have boght this truck as a project and am trying to learn more about
it.

Thanks for the help.

Steve Cooper

John Alt February 1st 04 06:54 PM

In article >,
says...
> How can I identify whether I have a Carter or a Rochester carb in my
> 1949 Chevy 3100? I am pretty sure it has the original 216 6 cyl. The
> carb that is on the engine is a single barrel on the drivers side of
> the block with the fuel bowl on the radiator side of the carb and the
> linkages on the firewall side. Are there any pictures online showing
> the differences? Which manfuacturer did Chevy use as original
> equipment?

Well, they all have some markings somewhere, and if the name isn't on
it, then a company logo is. Look it over good. You can also find a
Chilton's book that covers it at the local library. At least mine does,
anyway. Lastly, a service manual for them is sold at many places on the
internet. Get one. Either book has many, many pictures of the carbs in
various stages of breakdown, and you should be able to identify it then.
Most people did the rebuild themselves, back in the day. If you can give
it a good look over, and still can't figure it out, post any numbers you
have on it back on here. It will have something on it, somewhere.

G.R. Patterson III February 3rd 04 05:13 PM

Steve wrote:

> How can I identify whether I have a Carter or a Rochester carb in my
> 1949 Chevy 3100? I am pretty sure it has the original 216 6 cyl.

According to Chilton's, the engine numbers for 1948 start with "FA" and those for
'49 start with "GA". If your's has either of these, it's probably the original
engine.

Rochester carbs used on '49 Chevys are part number 7002050, model "B". Carter carbs
used in that year are the type W-1 model 684S, type YF model 787S, and type YF
model 787SB. If the number 603 is cast on the face of the flange, it's a Carter
684S. Check your carb for model numbers.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.

Steve February 5th 04 04:24 AM

Thanks for the info!!!

Steve

Leon Corley February 11th 04 12:17 PM

I don't know about the Carter, but the Rochester I have here at my desk
has the RP logo molded into the bottom of the fuel bowl. It's on the
side opposite the throttle arm.

regards,
Leon