AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   endplay on crank (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=37464)

[email protected] July 6th 05 05:34 AM

endplay on crank

1600 dual port

idiots guide says to adjust endplay
to .004", install paper gasket (.009" thick)
and torque flywheel on.

This would put .005" tension on crankshaft.

I measured endplay. I have .009"

is it vital to adjust to .004?

Jen

Karl July 6th 05 06:36 AM

Why use a paper gasket? Your flywheel should be grooved for an o-ring.

Jan Andersson July 6th 05 06:41 AM

wrote:

> 1600 dual port
>
> idiots guide says to adjust endplay
> to .004", install paper gasket (.009" thick)
> and torque flywheel on.
>
> This would put .005" tension on crankshaft.
>
> I measured endplay. I have .009"
>
> is it vital to adjust to .004?
>
> Jen

When the endplay is out of spec, there's more "room" for the crank to
bang more violently back and forth, and it will eat more room for itself
at an accelerating rate. A tiny little bit of play is required to ensure
there's no chance of binding.

The instructions you quoted mean that WITH a .009 paper gasket, you
should achieve .004 play.

Today, on an o-ringed flywheel like you have on that thing, the paper
gasket is left out (as instructed by the factory I think, not sure).
Replace O-ring inside the flywheel and install with very light coat of
oil on the o-ring. No sealant needed. You CAN use the paper gasket if
you want, it's not a disaster.

..009 is a bit on the wide side, .004 is ideal but you can leave it a
little looser or a wee bit tighter if you have difficulties achieving
it. As the shims "wear in" etc. the gap grows a little, during the first
few hundred miles. Then it settles. Your .009 would start to grow too,
but faster and it may just keep growing when the chain reaction begins.
(When you are past the wear limit point... accelerated wear etc.)

Jan

Speedy Jim July 6th 05 05:10 PM

wrote:

> 1600 dual port
>
> idiots guide says to adjust endplay
> to .004",

Yeah, what Jan said.

Plus....toss the Idiot Guide and get a more recent "manual".

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

geoffers July 7th 05 01:29 PM

Well, you don't have to *toss* it. Muir bible is pretty entertaining
reading but you have to question the "wisdom" that you will find in it.

It's probably best just to get the VW Bentley Manual for your year car
and then form your own conclusions.

Geoffe Elias
'74 Super Beetle
http://www.geocities.com/u982008/veedub/

http://www.opera.com/m2/

Jim Adney July 8th 05 01:00 AM

On 5 Jul 2005 21:34:39 -0700 wrote:

>1600 dual port
>
>idiots guide says to adjust endplay
>to .004", install paper gasket (.009" thick)
>and torque flywheel on.

The paper gasket was only used on earlier engines, Your 1600 dual port
should have a flywheel with an O-ring and would require no gasket.

>This would put .005" tension on crankshaft.

No, the gasket adds play, since it spaces the crank and flywheel
apart, but this is academic since you won't be using it anyway.

>I measured endplay. I have .009"
>
>is it vital to adjust to .004?

You should get it between .003 and .006, while shooting for .004". At
..009 it will allow the crank to "rattle" back and forth too much and
cause accelerated wear on the # 1 main bearing faces, and possibly on
the # 1 main bearing web in the case.

Crank shims are available in various thicknesses. You should use
exactly 3 shims in a combination of thicknesses which give you end
play in the range above.

-
Jim Adney

Madison, WI 53711 USA

Jan Andersson July 8th 05 03:58 AM

Jim Adney wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2005 21:34:39 -0700 wrote:
>
> >1600 dual port
> >
> >idiots guide says to adjust endplay
> >to .004", install paper gasket (.009" thick)
> >and torque flywheel on.

> The paper gasket was only used on earlier engines, Your 1600 dual port
> should have a flywheel with an O-ring and would require no gasket.
>
> >This would put .005" tension on crankshaft.

> No, the gasket adds play, since it spaces the crank and flywheel
> apart, but this is academic since you won't be using it anyway.
>
> >I measured endplay. I have .009"
> >
> >is it vital to adjust to .004?

> You should get it between .003 and .006, while shooting for .004". At
> .009 it will allow the crank to "rattle" back and forth too much and
> cause accelerated wear on the # 1 main bearing faces, and possibly on
> the # 1 main bearing web in the case.
>
> Crank shims are available in various thicknesses. You should use
> exactly 3 shims in a combination of thicknesses which give you end
> play in the range above.
>
> -
> Jim Adney

> Madison, WI 53711 USA