AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Caravan rear brake pad replacement (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72516)

[email protected] August 16th 06 10:20 PM

Caravan rear brake pad replacement

My apologies as I am not an expert mechanic like some folks here. I
have searched the group and have found all sorts of issues on brakes,
but not what I need. I am having news server issues so maybe I am
missing something in the process.

My rear brakes on my 2001 caravan make noise when I first start her up
and take off, but it almost disappears after awhile. I am thinking it
*may* need brake pads in the rear. I had them checked awhile ago, and
they said something about ridges forming on the drum and cleaned them
up (& of course charged me for it), but with little result. They did
also tell me this is a common issue on caravans.

Now - does anyone know of a site or a thread which tells a dummy like
me how to go about checking/replacing the linings on the rear (non-ABS)
brakes in a 2001 dodge caravan?

Thanks for any and all information. Because of the news server issue,
if you could copy any (polite!!? lol) response to
it would be appreciated.

regards.

[email protected] August 17th 06 04:07 AM

Caravan rear brake pad replacement

hi - thank you for the reply. What are the certain tools you refer to?
I gather one is like a sort of screwdriver to adjust the
clearance/drag. The other must be a spring compressor of some type, or
if I go to some auto store and thell them what I am trying to do, would
they know what I need?

thanks for putting up with what I am sure are dumb questions.

regards.

fweddybear August 17th 06 06:15 PM

Caravan rear brake pad replacement

> hi - thank you for the reply. What are the certain tools you refer to?
> I gather one is like a sort of screwdriver to adjust the
> clearance/drag. The other must be a spring compressor of some type, or
> if I go to some auto store and thell them what I am trying to do, would
> they know what I need?
>
> thanks for putting up with what I am sure are dumb questions.
>
> regards.
>
> wrote:
>> My apologies as I am not an expert mechanic like some folks here. I
>> have searched the group and have found all sorts of issues on brakes,
>> but not what I need. I am having news server issues so maybe I am
>> missing something in the process.
>>
>> My rear brakes on my 2001 caravan make noise when I first start her up
>> and take off, but it almost disappears after awhile. I am thinking it
>> *may* need brake pads in the rear. I had them checked awhile ago, and
>> they said something about ridges forming on the drum and cleaned them
>> up (& of course charged me for it), but with little result. They did
>> also tell me this is a common issue on caravans.
>>
>> Now - does anyone know of a site or a thread which tells a dummy like
>> me how to go about checking/replacing the linings on the rear (non-ABS)
>> brakes in a 2001 dodge caravan?
>>
>> Thanks for any and all information. Because of the news server issue,
>> if you could copy any (polite!!? lol) response to

>> it would be appreciated.
>>
>> regards.

I am not sure what the tool is called, but yes.... it has what looks
like a screwdriver on one end, and on the other it is rounded with a sort of
notch or indentation so that you can attach it to the stud where the two
springs are located. I guess it might be called a drum brake tool... the
auto parts place should know right away, or you probably should find another
store if they dont...

Fwed